Turn signal stalk replacement *ATTN Springfield Choppers*

93CutlassSupreme

the windshield wiper switch on the end of my turn signal stalk is broke - it just turns very hard, but doesn't move the wipers at all. it doesn't "notch" into the different wiper speeds either

how do i replace this?

thanks

If you don't have an airbag it's really easy to get to the turn signal switch. I replaced the one in my 88 GP before, just had to pull the wheel and there was no lockup plate, then blam, you just slide that ring thing off and out comes the stock.. :)

If you don't have an airbag it's really easy to get to the turn signal switch. I replaced the one in my 88 GP before, just had to pull the wheel and there was no lockup plate, then blam, you just slide that ring thing off and out comes the stock.. :)

thanks.

its prety easy to do, if you need any help let me know.

i will be doing it, i'm just poor as shit right now and can't afford anything that isn't necessary

IIRC, the wiper switches used on all of the Gen 1 and 1.5 W's are a general part that work in many different GM's from over the years (I have no solid proof of this, it's just what I've heard.)

Pulling the 1st gen column apart shouldn't be as difficult as the 1.5 since you don't have to worry about the airbag and clockspring...

On a side note, I may be expanding upon my TSS replacement document soon to include the 88-93's. My wife has a friend with a 93 Lumina that has a bad TSS and I said I'd replace it for her (someday :lol:) so I'm gonna snap some pics and learn a little about the 1st gen columns finally!!!

i will be doing it, i'm just poor as shit right now and can't afford anything that isn't necessary

just get the piece from the junkyard, I'm sure they don't go bad that often.

just get the piece from the junkyard, I'm sure they don't go bad that often.

i know. i have to buy or rent a steering wheel puller though

You should be able to borrow/rent one free at many parts stores. I've changed the sig light switch on my 88 and 95, so on my 95 I borrowed the puller and lock plate remover both free from Canadian Tire. If you can't find one, go to a garage and ask if you can borrow it for a minute, pop the plastic cover off, and pop the wheel off. Once it's off then you woun't need to use the puller again (unless you bolt it down real hard).

I've "pulled" wheels off of a few of the older GM's without using a puller. There are 2 threaded slots in the wheel where you put the bolts for the puller, and if you thread them both down far enough, they'll hit against the lock plate and force the wheel off. The newer airbag equipped wheels actually have a bottom to the threaded part so you don't inadvertently do what I just described and break the clockspring...

i don't know if this was cleared up yet, but if it's not the turn signal switch inside the column that's bad, the stalk slides right off from the outside of the steering column