people who converted from a column to floor shifter???

cutlass1991

couple questions that should be easy for anyone who has done this conversion. i used a center console from a 1995 cutlass and converted my 1991 cutlass supreme.

Mine has been converted for a while. one thing that bugs me, though I never really bothered with it, is on the digi dash display where it shows what gear you are in (PRND321), it always says park because i never bothered to figure out how to run that green string to the floor mechanism. has anyone done this or been sucessful? Or do you think it'd be easier to just take apart the gauge cluster and black out the gear indicator?

gears.jpg

Did you put a new steering column in, or keep the old one? I kept the same one, and just removed the shift handle on the column. although I would like to get that stupid stump outta there.

stump.jpg

Also, my car can be shifted into gear without the key turned or anything else. I'd like to be able to prevent this for saftey reasons, but I wasnt sure how to make the shifter lock. There is an accuator looking thing in the shifter mechanism with two wires on it that looks like it would prevent the shifter from moving when power is applied, but I wasnt sure so i just left that alone too.

shifter.jpg

I'm just curious if anyone who has done this before can give me some tips.

Thanks

None of the first gen had that when floor shifted, Not sure about 2nd gen.

I changed my column to one that was originaly floor shifted.

Mines a 5-speed but that is what locks the shifter. Not sure how it's hooked up though.

To stop the shiftasblilty of the car with the key off:

YOu need to run a new Ignition switch to the shifter.. That is what tells the shifter, "Hey.. The car is off.. Let's not go anywhere"

As for the dash indicator, you can ditch that (Which is what I would do) or find a way to run the cable to the shifter..

And for the stump:

Since you need to drop the column to get the ignition switch swapped out, Id put a new column on, OR.. Just dremmel/grind the nub off, and get a plastic shroud from a stock floor shifted mobile.. Or some plastic, glue, bondo, sand papaer, paint, ands patience will make it look swet..

Isn't there a blank that you can put over the instrument cluster so you cannot see the PRND...etc.??

You'd probably have to steal it from another car though.

good suggestions. i am probably just gonna open up the gauge cluster and get rid of the indicator.

I like the idea of grinding off that nub, since i really dont feel like wasing money on a steering column just for cosmetic purposes.

To stop the shiftasblilty of the car with the key off:

YOu need to run a new Ignition switch to the shifter.. That is what tells the shifter, "Hey.. The car is off.. Let's not go anywhere"

Yepper, you need to get an ignition switch and the complete cable assembly that locks out the shifter from a console-shifted car...

You most certainly do NOT need the ignition switch. All you need it is the cable.. it screws in place on a little bracket. I'll pull my column down tomorrow maybe and show you.

You most certainly do NOT need the ignition switch. All you need it is the cable.. it screws in place on a little bracket. I'll pull my column down tomorrow maybe and show you.

I was goin at this from the ABody standpoint.. The 6000, the cable was more of a bitch to replace, so i swapped the entire iggy switch.. But if it just screws in on Ws, awesome!

Most interesting color scheme...

I know. Here's the story with that if anyone cares. obviously the interior used to be red. i changed the door panels, put in leather seats and all the trim, dash, headliner...etc. the only thing i didnt change to black was the carpet because i didnt have an extra hundred bucks to get a new black carpet, plus i didnt really know where to look. So I took the ghetto way out and sprayed the whole damn thing with fabric paint... well, as you can seee that didnt last very long. I didnt buy new car mats yet because I finished the job in December and didnt want new mats to get messed up in the snow. anyway, that is my excuse for having a mismatched interior.