Fieroguy65

Hey guys,

A quick question-is it worth it to upgrade my top-end to '95 3100 stuff or not?

I can get it for about $150. Should I do this or wait for a 3400 or just P&P my stock no-mile heads?

Greg

I have been told its worth about 10 extra HP or so... so if you want every HP you can possibley get then I would say go for the 3100 swap... I know there is a differance in the years of 3100's though the differance is in the coolent pipe that goes to the upper intake. I found this out when I was looking for a 3100 for my GA I know that the 94's where a easy mate and I heard that most of the 95s are but just make sure before...the 94's and select 95s dont have this pipe...

Guest TurboSedan

go for a complete newer 3400 LA1 engine. they can be had CHEAP on ebay, sometimes less than $300 with less than 50,000 miles. they are common enough that body shops also have them for sale cheap. one body shop here in town wants $400 for a complete 37,000 mile 3400 engine from a wrecked '99 Grand Am SE.

anyways, i'm assuming you have a TGP and want to turbocharge the 3400? (or at least upgrade to 3x00 stuff) :?: you'll need a custom crossover and either some headers or serious grinding to the stock TGP exhaust manifolds.

Shawn or Jeff M might chip in here....

Don't know about the 3400 lower end but the top end swap neted me a 13.88 ET :D over the stock 3.1 top end which was stuck in the mid 14's. I wouldn't waist my time on a 3100 unless its the newer version. 96 is not the ticket I have a complete 97 top end sitting here that I didn't use. ( I think after 99 but somybody correct me) . The bigger TB alone is worth a bunch of Hp especially if your turboed. Well that depends on the turbo. :D

Jud

Don't know about the 3400 lower end but the top end swap neted me a 13.88 ET :D over the stock 3.1 top end which was stuck in the mid 14's. I wouldn't waist my time on a 3100 unless its the newer version. 96 is not the ticket I have a complete 97 top end sitting here that I didn't use. ( I think after 99 but somybody correct me) . The bigger TB alone is worth a bunch of Hp especially if your turboed. Well that depends on the turbo. :D

Jud

Ummm :? maybe a little help from that disco-duck :lol: turbo upgrade too 8) !!

Jeff M

No Disco, when I bought this turbo the Disco was 1800 so I went the cheap route 975. Gotta walk before you run. Although the Disco isn't that much biger than the one I have. I am going bigger but with so many gt's popping up it's hard to make a decision. The disco is a has been already.

This Is the one I am drooling over. :D Proly change my mind in the next month or so when thy come out with more gt's. :roll:

GT3071R-WG Dual BB, 64AR, 84 Trim Turbine

Yea you might have some lag at the line but I bet this turkey won't fall off like mine does at the top end. :( I am definatly looking for low 13's) Who knows 12's would be nice. :lol: :lol:

Ha Jeff any help on the trans ID. I know you read it. No matter I'll get there. :)

Jud

Ops :oops: , I knew you had one of those new GT BB in that range, yea not a lot of difference between the two, until you add some fuel, drop the compression, maybe an intercooler upgrade, …….might want to look into that/intercooler :shock: , maybe run some tests to see what the DP is now, just don’t do like Jay and get all mad its not the most expensive best intercooler out there :lol:

That is the same turbo (I believe) I was looking at :drool: , I want around 450 to 550 hp for the aluminum block build-up. Matched for the 3L range this turbo is, yes strong it will be, long as its peaking around 3,500 rpms we be all set, like we got traction at less than that and some boost :lol: .

OLAH, OYLH and OLCH, god that sucks I know these off the top of my head :lol: . Might want to email me about more info, might have a…..ton more 8)

Off to diner with the woman :kiss:

Jeff M

Hey guys,

A quick question-is it worth it to upgrade my top-end to '95 3100 stuff or not?

I can get it for about $150. Should I do this or wait for a 3400 or just P&P my stock no-mile heads?

Greg

It is worth it if you don't mind doing the work of converting it. There is a lot of stuff that has to be modified. However, do think about the costs of gaskets and head bolts. (head bolts are not cheap) That will bring the price up quick. When I did my topend swap on my STE it gave a nice gain, but I did a cam and UD pulley at the same time. The topend would pretty much have to be worth about 10hp, but the bigger port stuff would give a larger gain. I am actually thinking about tearing mine back down and switching to the bigger port stuff...but I gotta get rid of this stock turbo first.

Shawn

Guest TurboSedan
(head bolts are not cheap) That will bring the price up quick.

Shawn

Shawn, a set of Fel-Pro head bolts for the LG5 is less than $23 from pickproparts.com, part #ES74018. 3x00 Fel-Pro head bolts (part #ES72892) are less than $28/set. i'd say that's pretty cheap.

Jud

sleeper how much work was the 3400 top end....what would u rate it 1 being easiest and 10 being extremely difficult?? (so 1-10) any info you could shoot me would be awsome...also are there specific years where the 3400 topend is easier to do??

am i correct to assume that a 3400 topend swap will see more gains than a 3100?? do the 3400 heads leave you with the same compression ratio?

All 3400's have the larger ports and 00+ 3100's have larger ports. So anything from a 00+ 3100 will be the same as the 3400. The pre 00 3100's have smaller ports and will give a smaller gain. The compression ratio between 3100 and 3400 heads is identical.

Shawn, a set of Fel-Pro head bolts for the LG5 is less than $23 from pickproparts.com, part #ES74018. 3x00 Fel-Pro head bolts (part #ES72892) are less than $28/set. i'd say that's pretty cheap.

I don't trust fel-pro parts because of MANY MANY bad things I've heard about them. I go with the GM stuff because then I know I have at least as good of quality as what was already on the car. I think through the dealer, even though I get them at wholesale, LG5 head bolts were like $60-70... On something I'm planning on running boost with I don't want bolts that might stretch differently or gaskets that might not seal properly. Just my personal preference/opinion though.

Shawn

futuretgp and every one else. New post Jud's 3400 top end swap. It will be there shortly. Started this months ago, just never got around to finishing it.

Jud