Cutty DIS vs GP DIC for LQ1

Daggar

I have been reading and as noted it's been said that the Cutty DIS is nice to have. I like it theres one in my fathers Aurora. But from what I have also read The Cutty DIS is specifically Tuned to Either a 2.8, 3.1, 3.3 (?) but not LQ1. Infact theres somone right now looking for a DIS out off a 3.4 Equipped Cutty. Deciding to see if there was such a thing. I looked on the net in various sites (Ebay, Auto trader, ect) to find a 1991 or 1992 Cutty with a LQ1 and a DIS in it. Unfortunetly my search turned up nothing all of the LQ1 equipped Cuttys had the cubby and No DIS.

Anyway I ramble on. If I was to use a DIS out of a Cutty for My Lumina how out would the fuel economy be. I also had a thought why can't the DIS learn the new values with you hit reset like my Dad's Caddy did (I have not got a chance to try this on the Aurora) Or does it eventually learn and re-compute the correct Values like Econ, Range, ect or will it be forever out to a certain degree? Maybe it can be configured to work with a LQ! (Higged switch? something?)

Now is the GP DIC engine specific? Will it show correct range, econ, ect on a LQ1?

Whice one would be the best choice to go with? Or should I just drop the Idea?

There's only 1 part number listed for the DIS for 89-91 Cutlass, so the differences between them must not be very much.

I don't think the fuel info will be off by that much. The fuel consumption data is actually computed and supplied by the ECM. I think other things like Range requires the DIS to be properly programmed with the correct size fuel tank.

One of these days I'll need to dump the PROM from my 3.1 DIS and compare it to the dumped PROM from the 2.8 DIS.

So if the Same tank is used on the 3.1 is the same as the 3.4 then theres no prob? I'm pretty sure the Tank on the Cutty would match the Lumina. My 1991 was 60 liters and my 1992 is 60 so I should be fine. Can you confirm the tank size on the Cutty?

Not sure if it's just my dis, but it's about 2 gallons off whenever I fill up...

I think the differnece in the programming is the fuel injector ratings. Not sure what the 2.8 has but IIRC the 3.1 has 17lb per hour injectors, versus the LQ1's 23lb per hour injectors.

My 2 cents:

The Grand Prix LCD DIC is visually more stunning, but the Cutlass DIS gives more info.. If you want it to look cool, Id go for the Grand Prix DIC.. (You can get the VFD variety as well, but that is a monochrome green color)..

Me? I want both :lol: