Lighted Keyhole Wiring

GOT2B GM

Today I replaced the drivers side door handle on my Z34. The lighted keyhole has never worked since I bought it. So I gave the wire that goes into the door a little pull and it all pulled out, plug and all. Where does it plug into inside the door, and how is it triggered? There are 2 wires, orange and white. Is the orange 12V and white GR? Is it a LED inside? I'm hoping all I have to do is plug it in and it'll work.

Thanks in advance.

When I took my STE door apart I looked at the lighted key hole, I was quite impressed by how it worked. I'm not sure if it is the same on other W's because I've seen some with a green looking keyhole light, and mine is amber. Anyways, here's how mine works.

There are two wires, maybe white and orange, but I don't remember leading to a small 194 bulb that mounts onto the MIDDLE of the door, near the armrest area. There is a black rubber socket over the light bulb that forces the light through a FIBER OPTIC cable that goes up to the key hole.

So the light travels through the fiber optic cable to the key hole. No LEDs or anything like that, just a 194 bulb.

I was rather impressed at the technology from the 90's :)

the way the lumina ones work is, just a green led in the light ring. but other then that i have NO CLUE how its supposed to work

The connector is anchored to the inside of the door. You might have to remove the door panel to gain access to it.

My service manual says pin A is +12V and B is GND.

It's triggered by the seatbelt control module. It has a relay inside it that is closed for 3-5 seconds after the last door is closed. The output from the seatbelt control module is +12V and the ground side of the LED stays grounded.

I've always wanted to add the keyring lights to my Cutlass, but they're VERY rare in junkyards and cost $60 to buy new so I never bothered.

you going to make it for the sedan i assume. how its set up on a Z; remove the lock cylinder(2 star shaped screws)and the light will move right out. i fare you good luck on making them.

When I took my STE door apart I looked at the lighted key hole, I was quite impressed by how it worked. I'm not sure if it is the same on other W's because I've seen some with a green looking keyhole light, and mine is amber. Anyways, here's how mine works.

There are two wires, maybe white and orange, but I don't remember leading to a small 194 bulb that mounts onto the MIDDLE of the door, near the armrest area. There is a black rubber socket over the light bulb that forces the light through a FIBER OPTIC cable that goes up to the key hole.

So the light travels through the fiber optic cable to the key hole. No LEDs or anything like that, just a 194 bulb.

I was rather impressed at the technology from the 90's :)

think thas impressive the Dash lights for the switches on my old 1983 peterbilt where lighted that way...7 years before 1990...and I heard that the Petes have been using that since the 70's

I got a junkyard door handle once that came with a lighted key hole on the passenger side. Which cars came with lighted key holes on both sides?

Most I've seen only had them on the driver side.

My STE has them on both sides. I'm not sure of what others have.

We had a Regal GS at work not too long ago, and it had them on the drivers side, I don't recall if they were on the passenger side too.

I'll have to keep an eye out for W's!