Warped Dash board around the Defrost

mixe olds

I have a 94 CS with the dashboard warped on one side the defrost vent. Is there a way to fix the dash board next to the defrost vent? The top material is separated from the rest of the dash board in an arch configuration running parallel with the vent.

The dash top in my '90 CS warped so I took the whole thing out, glued the warped vinyl part back to the rigid frame part, clamped it together and let it set.

It now looks a lot better, and the vent grille doesn't keep popping out.

Albion.

Drive screws into the inside edge. If you can't get black screws, you can cover them with some black electrical tape. This is a long term fix, I've never had one pop back up even after 5+yrs. Glue only holds for about 1-2yrs depending on the glue.

I can post a pic if you'd like to see what i'm talking about.

I presume you mean taking out the grille thing and screwing through the little 'lip' where the grille sits (so the screws are concealed)?

I guess I might have to do that if the glue gives out :?

Mine had warped away from the rigid underside all along the edge right by the windshield too.

Crappy GM early '90's glue... :roll:

Albion.

Yeah, I noticed that in parts of it, but mostly the whole foam part had lifted, so it glued down OK.

I guess one of those windshield sun-shade things is in order from now on.

Albion.

Drive screws into the inside edge. If you can't get black screws, you can cover them with some black electrical tape. This is a long term fix, I've never had one pop back up even after 5+yrs. Glue only holds for about 1-2yrs depending on the glue.

I can post a pic if you'd like to see what i'm talking about.

I would like to see it as I have a small lip starting to form near the windshield

I thought I was the only one with the problem, lol. If anyone can get pics up of a good fix for this, that'd be sweet!

...pics with step-by-step instructions...

GnatGoSplat?

Albion?

Bueller, anyone? :wink:

sounds like every old W
Not the regals, the dashes just crack on those :lol:

Boulderdash!!!! I've seen warped Regal dashes around the vents. It's the newer style dashes like mine that doesn't do shit.

My Lumina has that problem as well, I've just over the past few months accepted it and moved on. There was some type of recall of it, but the GM dealer won't honor it anymore, so fuck it is what I say.

But I'm sure the toher fixes work as well.

No way in hell am i gunna take the whole dash pad off. I got the HUD and just taking off the plastic around the guages off and replacing it was enough for me. Im thinkin of just stringing a weight to the end and tieing it to one of plastic vents. That should keep her down :)

Thanks for the pic GnatGoSplat, I might have a crack at that next time I've got the dashpad off.

Lifting the pad is pretty easy, on mine (1990) it just means removing the gauge trim (5 screws that go up into the dash top) then two screws at either end of the gauge cluster area, two in the glovebox compartment and two in the defrost vent hole. (sorry no pix of where they are, but they're pretty easy to locate).

Also remember to disconnect the glovebox courtesy light switch before lifting the pad off.

Worth the effort in my opinion.

Albion.

How do you remove the dashpad on a 90 Lumina then? Is it almost identical?

4-6 7mm hex head bolts right at the front where the pad meets the dash.. Then just lift up, and pull back