LQ1 IS FAST!!!

Guest RedCutlassSL

150 pounds? Try about 400 pounds difference. Both run close to the same 1/4 average stock. You have your slow and fast cars on either end. GM doesn't have the closest tolerances in the world, so you get some freaks and some slow mofos.

I didn't see this personally, but Steve Cromer (a guy that used to run the PerformanceZ34 site) and Aaron Lephart (pioneer of the L67 swap) ran a stock brand new '99 GA GT 3400 (4dr I think?) against Steve's slightly modded 96 3.4 DOHC Grand Prix coupe. The Grand Am beat the GP every time, they even switched cars and the GA still won every time.

This was probably back in '98 or '99, but if the PerformanceZ34 Yahoo Club archives go back that far, you might be able to find it still.

Those two guys are no longer W-body owners, but they were very involved in W-body affairs back then.

I had a friend with a 96 GTP 3.4 DOHC. The car was pretty fast too. She was going to race a 99 Grand Am GT 3.4 and I said "You're gonna lose". She raced him anyhow...and lost. So I believe what Shawn was saying about the race.

Jason

By the sounds of how the DOHC runs, it seems similar to the 3100 and 3400 out now. The 3100 in my dad's 2002 GPSE is average at best 0-20 but once you get past like 2500 rpm's, it really picks up, and it's a blast on the highway.

how long of a race though? It should have been fairly close in the 1/4. Few tenths that is.

See, thats the thing. She didn't say how long...maybe a few blocks or so. I'm sure at the big end the DOHC really makes up for lost time.

Jason

By the sounds of how the DOHC runs, it seems similar to the 3100 and 3400 out now. The 3100 in my dad's 2002 GPSE is average at best 0-20 but once you get past like 2500 rpm's, it really picks up, and it's a blast on the highway.

Hehe, have you ever driven a DOHC? But you got it right, it picks up in the upper rpm range, just the effect in the DOHC is 100x as great.

ive been in them but I was like 15 or so, and they never nailed it, so no I havent personally driven one. Oh well....but after seeing that bright red 91 cutlass on ebay, I'm like AAAAAHHH! gimmee!

Lets say on very very good days, just plain out accelerating that when the engine hits 4k in first gear it will break the tires loose. Granted it is on shitty tires and only once in a great while, but you get the point... My front end always gets squirly at WOT and 4k rpm.

Mine breaks the tires loose at 4k like its its job!!! 8)

-Tom

And you got a stick, it better be breaking the tires loose :P. hehe

I was just saying that even with my pos auto with poor gearing that it still could do that occasionally, which is very different then what the 3100/3400 would do. Its sad that most normal (not us fanatics) DOHC owners keep their poor engine under 4k and never experience the thrill of hammering it at 50mph to pass and all of a sudden you find yourself doing 85 before you merge back into the right lane.

So basically I would get beat by that damn grand am. You would think for all the technology put into the DOHC it might be faster than a OHV engine of the same displacement. I think the auto is what really kills it. I would like to see what happens if the DOHC is a stick, I think it would be a totally different story.