LQ1 IS FAST!!!

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

I got a new job at a car dealership. Today was my first day. Anyway, there is a 96 GTP there for sale, green, with a tan leather interior. My friend came in, he wants to buy it, and we test drove it. Holy shit, is that car so much faster than my 3100 equipped Cutlass. Makes me jealous, but also makes me want to buy that 98 GTP even more. Its in mint condition, with 86,000 for 8,000 dollars. I'm buying it.

96 and 98 GTPs are 2 different engines.. but I'm guessing you already knew that. don't worry, the 98 GTP is faster than the 96.... well, I guess that depends on who you ask. :)

Yeah, my 98 GTP has no problems whatsover conquering a 3.4 DOHC, only downfall about the 3.8 S/C, is the use of premium fuel at a very premium price now. Christ, I can remember when premium was cheaper then what regular unleaded is now :roll:

Aaron

Yeah, my 98 GTP has no problems whatsover conquering a 3.4 DOHC, only downfall about the 3.8 S/C, is the use of premium fuel at a very premium price now. Christ, I can remember when premium was cheaper then what regular unleaded is now :roll:

Aaron

it depends on what DOHC and what L67.. a modified 5spd will beat a stock L67. but again that is not what is being discussed.

As for fuel economy.. i may have to run premium in my L67 Lumina but it still gets ALLOT better gas miolage then my DOHC.

BTW the 1996-97 DOHC's are STRANGLY STRONG RUNNING MOTOR!

better heads, better intake manfolds, different Final drive gear ratio.

I want to rebuild my motor for turbo using 1996 heads and what not for these reasons.

RedZ

Do 96 heads work on a 94 motor with the 94 intake and plenum?

The 96 heads sound interesting, but I can't use the 96 plenum because my convertible needs its STB. Not to mention I don't want to have to pull the plenum just to change plugs anyhow.

Nice! What are the overall benefits to the newer heads? Any drawbacks? Do the combustion chamber differences affect the compression ratio?

BTW, if you think a stock 3.4 DOHC is fast, try driving a TGP. My TGP likes to pull, HARD, from a standstill.

You should see what headwork and a 5 speed does to the DOHC:)

96 heads will raise the compression. I dont know the exact amount but its close to half a point, though a little less than a full half point. 51.5 vs 54cc.

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to get ahold of some. Too bad that guy that found all those 3.4 DOHC heads in his shop didn't find 96-97 heads!

I seem to have a head gasket leaking a little oil into the valley, so I figure at some point I'll have to do the head gaskets anyway. Might as well swap to 96 heads for that kind of trouble.

yeah, I have a feeling the 96 heads will have great worth later on. I still havent flowbenched them yet though...which is what im more worried about. You will need the exhaust manifolds. I plan on headers so I never got a set.

Just had to get my 0.2$ in but I have been in both and a 3.8 s/c will kill a DOHC all the way up to about 60 then the 3.4 takes over. I also laugh when my friend in his 99' grand am gt thinks hes gonna beat me in a race. Its only a 3400 :lol:

ok, I want to see R&T and C&D test numbers on both cars with the 3.4DOHC with both the auto and manual, and the cars with the 3400. If I recall, I have seen 3400 car 0-60 tests put them around the 7.5 -7.7 range. I vaguely remember seeing everything from prototype DOHC cars with 5spds running 6.9 to as slow as 9.6 for an auto equipped car in a Car Craft magazine... I bet I still have that magazine too. the best I have seen out of the later Monte's (98?) with the 3.4DOHC was 7.4-7.7

a modified 5spd will beat a stock L67

My 5-speed will run with a stock L67 easily, even beat it on the highway - but off the line it is no comparison whatsoever - L67 is better out of the hole - that is its nature. In addition my 3800 often gets double the gas mileage that my DOHC does.

-Tom

How far on the highway? Don't the DOHC cars have speed limiters around 113mph?

I don't doubt the modded 5spd getting a stock SC car, but isn't that comparing apples to oranges? I think a healthy running, perfectly tuned and decently tweaked DOHC do really well against a stock 3800S/C

Then again.... watch out for a tweaked out SC car....

BTW, if you think a stock 3.4 DOHC is fast, try driving a TGP. My TGP likes to pull, HARD, from a standstill.

Hehe, give me a few months :D

And its true, the DOHC is god awful off of the line (or at least the auto is). Now cruise at either 20 or 55mph and hammer it :D :D lol, I feel bad for my tranny.

how so? hes maybe 150 pounds lighter. Its a 4 door and an automatic. Im pushin 210hp maybe a little less because of the mileage and he has 180hp. I dont get it? From a stop hes quicker but once we hit about 50 I pull ahead and he doesnt look back. Another thing too maybe that my friend is probly pushin 300 pounds and i'm about 200 so that doesnt help him any.