90 Lumina - Wipers won't turn off!

euro1990

Been quite a while since I posted anything related to my beloved 90 Lumina Euro... but I just sold her yesterday. 205,000 miles, she still fetched $1200. Good to see that someone appreciated the fact that I took good care of it.

Anyways, I got a call from the buyer an hour after she took the car, saying the wipers wouldn't turn off. I used to have this problem occasionally, the wipers would be in delay mode, then all of a sudden they'd be going constantly (in "low") and turning them off did nothing.

Is there a wiper delay controller somewhere in this car? Or any other kinda wiper controller? I don't think the problem is the actual switch on the turn signal, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

Jamie Anton

Chicago, IL

I'd say there is a problem in the signal stalk with a cold solder joint - that's what happened to our 96 Suburban, however on the Suburban it was a safety recall item...

- Jeff L.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm gonna tell this girl that I'll put a kill switch on the wipers for free, or I'll do the labor if she wants to buy the parts. According to Autozone's online repair manual, there's a controller switch in the steering column that costs about $52.

Actually, I just got off the phone with her, and she said the free kill switch would be just fine. Good stuff, I didn't feel like taking the steering column apart anyways.

Thanks again

Jamie

You sure are a good guy. Most people I know who sell cars sell em to get rid of problems like that and never want to hear from the buyer again. Way to go. Karma +20

as for me... punctuation -10 :)

Yeah, it probably helps that she knows my friend's parents sorta well, and the fact that she's sorta cute doesn't hurt her either. That plus I loved that damn car, and I'm glad it's in the hands of someone else who loves it. I guess her last car was an 88 Cavalier that got totalled 3 weeks after she bought it (her first car). Insurance company gave her $1200 for it (I'm amazed) so then she gave me $1200 for my Lumina. I think she got a pretty good upgrade for almost free. She sure thinks so.