Alternator

mihela816

My Iceberg alternator died on me today. I guess nothing so far can improve on the poor design of the CS-130. I have been looking around and noticed the CS-144 alternator. Does anyone have any experience with these units? Is anyone currently using one in their W?

First off your a damn fool to buy one of thoes. I bought a autzone 12 years ago and havent paid for another one yet. It's only been 4 or 5 that I have replaced.

25 minuet job. Dont know what ther warrenty but AZ is 2 miles away. So in an hour I am fixed, :lol: :lol:

What did you pay for it. Include the shipping?

Jud

so far i've had my best luck with my $70 advance auto special, i bought it about 2 years ago now for my old cutlass ciera with the iron duke, then i put it on my z34 when its alternator kicked the bucket. had it on the z for almost 1.5 years now, and it still works good.

i have a HD bosch unit that i purchased from Pep Boys when my old alternator died. It's got a lifetime warranty (so if it dies I get a new one for free). It's been good to me for over a year now.

I got a Bosch one also, but only 5 year warantee....is whines like no other, and sometimes my Lumina sounds supercharged lol

Damn, I hope it goes before 5 years are up (4.5 years now)

- Jeff L.

yea the thing does whine sometimes under heavy acceleration. I don't mind the noise at all. I think it kinda sounds cool and makes me think my car is faster than it is. haha

Let's be realistic here...98% of us with the N/A 3.1 and 3100 vehicles don't exactly have "fast" cars. lol :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm going to spring for a new Delco CS-130D tomorrow to replace my third CS-130. I can get a new one here locally for $205 CDN, which isn't too bad compared to the dealer wanting $325. But I am now wondering what would be the better choice between the 130D and the 144. I'm thinking the 130D has a better design even though it has a lower output. Anyone have anything to input here?

Also, is anyone familiar with hooking the wiring for a 130D to the old 130 wiring? Are the wires actually the same colors? Now I just need to find a connector for the 130D. I'll break down and buy one if I can't find a car to snip one out of. I'm guessing I'll be needing the 4 wire lead since my car has a voltmeter?

Wow the CS-144 is massive in comparison to the 130/130D!! :shock: Will it actually fit in place of my CS-130? I don't remember there being much room down there. So the adapter they have on that page is for a CS-130D to CS-144 swap. Do you know if they have one for a 130 to 130D swap or a 130 to 144 swap? Actually, on closer inspection, it looks like the 144 has the same connector as the old 130. Can anyone cofirm if that's the case?

I'm going to get a price on the CS-144 alt tomorrow. That may be the route I go depending on the cost.

I e-mailed alternatorpart.com and this is what they said:

The CS130 & CS144 have the same regulator, so no adapter is needed for that type of conversion, however, because of space issues, the CS144 will not fit in place of the CS130 in your vehicle.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

alternatorparts.com

Well guess I'd better look into CS-130D

Has anyone used or has the CS-130D on there W-body. I read that the 130D is a improvement over the 130. They say 130D produces more amps at lower idle, do anyone find this true.

I'd try to contact powermaster..Ask for a guy named Cory. I think he still works in R&D (Ask about the USAC Z28 owner)He explained to me his companies build standards and they seem very good. Far surpassing any OEM standards..I'm actually considering using them in my Z34 which is taxed heavily due to the audio system..Hope this helps..