Buying a security device

z34_nut

Well i got my tax income check, and i can finally check out some security products for my new car (gonna need it, gonna be living in sacramento, don't wanna look like that GTP that jay posted).

I was thinking of a Viper?

don't need remote start, i would love to have a pager, and remote power locks, trunk, starter kill, and a seperate fuel shut-off.

i've been keeping an eye open in ikesound.com.

What do you guys think...

DEI kicks ass! I have mine set up so I have separate buttons for lock (arm) and unlock (disarm). It also has progressive unlocking, press unlock once and only driver side unlocks, press again and the other door unlocks. Just like factory. You can set it up that way, or not. DEI alarms are very flexible. You can even get GM lookalike remotes that work with them.

They're not very much on Ebay. $50-150 for a decent DEI I think.

You might also look into the GM Accessories alarms (NOT the Goodwrench ones). Those are made by DEI. They have the remotes that look like the current GM ones. I put a VSL4200 (or something like that) in the '88, it was $60 shipped about 6-7yrs ago. I think it was almost identical to the Viper 500ESP.

My 800ESP was $150-ish on Ebay, but that was 6yrs ago. I bet they're a lot cheaper now that DEI has those remote start w/LCD remote ones.

see if you can get one with a two way pager system. in addition to greater range, the remote also tells you when the alarm is triggered. this is great because who pays attention to alarm sirens anymore?

see if you can get one with a two way pager system. in addition to greater range, the remote also tells you when the alarm is triggered. this is great because who pays attention to alarm sirens anymore?

Yep, 2-way alarm systems are awesome as well. Plus, the one with the screen on it actually lets you know exactly what is going on (hood, trunk, door, whatever).