Heater problems...

Jon89le

The heater on my '89 GP seems to not be working right. i have it set on high but the air doesnt come out hard. And i dont feel the vents opening and closing (like if i put it to come out the top or bottom, etc.) Im thinking its the blower going but where the heck is that? And what could be causing the vents not to open/close properly like i mentioned? Thanks

you have a vaccume leak. check the vaccume ball in the fender well. Does your cruse control work? I am guessing it doesn't. assuming it doesn't then you definatly have a vaccume leak. listen for a hissing noise under your hood and check the vaccume canister for cracks and make sure it didn't come unpluged.

RedZ

Holy Shit here as well!

BUT, does this apply to Cutlass Supreme's as well?

Because my Electronic Climate Control often gets a mind of it's own, and Shawn's site said that this is caused by poor soldering connections...

I actually ordered a new one from gmotors.com on Friday for $102US...not a bad price, seeing as mine was also all scratched as well...

Where exactly do I look for these leaks?

wow, 102 for a NEW one? thats not bad at all! However I think your problem is the unit. When the vents NEVER switch, is when you have the vacuum problem... If it's broken at the tank then that would cause problems with the cruise and vents

wow, 102 for a NEW one?

Yeah, and that price INCLUDES the shipping!!:)

gmotors.com only sells parts 15% over cost!

I was looking originally at gmpartsdirect.com, but they charge WAY too much for shipping, plus, they don't ship to Canada for some ODD reason??

Another item that could crap out is a tiny splitter valve that sits just under the cruise control unit along the driver side fender. My '92 Lumina EURO 3.1 had the same "vent" problem. When mine did this the valve was split wide open ????

By asking around I traced it to the valve. Pretty cheap item from GM. The second time this happened I followed the black plastic tubing to the vacuum ball under the driver side fender. Where the tubing snakes through the body (behind the battery), the tube had rubbed so much against the body that I needed a whole section of tubing. GM will not sell you tubing. It is a whole section of tubing, with the valve, and some rubber joints. Make sure to position the plastice sleave ( come with the piece) correctly to protect it from rubbing.

And yes, the A/C+heat vent is on the same vacuum circuit as the cruise so if one goes out you are damn sure the other won't work.

Just traded the '92 in for a '99 Lumina LS. Styling is not as sexy as the EURO but pretty decent car. My only fear is waiting for the coolant to leak through the intake gasket ( have a 3.1 ). Hopefully it falls under my extended warranty.