May have gotten cheated on computer..

Lee

When my computer died this past weekend and the shop put in a new one...I asked for the old one and was told it was a $100 core charge and it'd cost me $100 if I wanted it. I left it of course.

Now I see I have an EPA/waste disposal charge of $5.50 on my bill. So, if they are keeping it for core.....uh duh, what's up with the disposal charge?

Think I better go call them on this, yes?

It's worth a shot! I would definitely complain.

I bet they'll say they charge that to everyone though. They have to pay EPA/waste disposal charges for disposing of motor oil, coolant, tranny fluid, etc.

Probably kind of like all those stupid extra fees they charge on your phone bill for things you don't even know what it means.

727 computers go for 79-89 recon with 80-90 core charge. 35-45 at the j/y no core. So they marked it up 50%+. The epa charge could be anything but I sure would ask.

When I came to Texas with no tools(house was in transit) i had to go to a dealer to replace the computer, That cost me 450. :shock: And I drove it in. I don't think they screwed you to bad, just a little. :)

Jud

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ecm behind the black plastic mounted on the passengerside strut tower, high up. Because the two screws that hold that on don't appear to have even been unscrewed. The black paint on the threads is pristine. Same type of black screws that hold the coolant tank on, those little tin ones. Even the light coating of dirt is untouched. I looked in my manual and everything tells me that's where it is. That's where I always thought it was.

I think I've uncovered a scam and that would suck because I had felt good about getting it fixed fast and realatively cheap.

What does the sticker say on top of the computer? I would take close ups of it and the threads (i think there are 3 one towards the engine and one ea top and bottom)

with a witness or two. If there is no sticker on top than take it lose and look on the bottom. Generally the sticker is on the top.

Did your speedometer go bonkers before it quit?

Go get them. :bash:

Jud

could they have just replaced the memcal? i forget if you have to pull the PCM to do that though.

Memcal is only like 40 and yes you have to turn the computer over, don't have to disconect it. I have never heard of a memcal going bad.

Jud

The computer is where you say it is. If your talking where the battery would be on the pass side

Possible scam but you still didnt pay much for the work like what $200 ?

Happy ending but felt a bit dumb. The computer in my Regal is not behind that black cover on the strut tower. The wiring appears to run through it and behind the coolant resivoir. The computer is mouted on a 45 degree angle behind the coolant tank and against the passengerside fender. It's a bigger box about 5"x8"x1.5". It is new with a 1 year warrantee. The sticker is on the bottom. If you look at the second page of my www site you can see my motor/coolant resivoir setup.

Nothing went bonkers on the car before it died. I drove it home from work, 35 miles, at at 11:45pm and the next day at 4pm it started and died twice then nothing but cranking starter.

The epa disposal fee is a fee for a percentage of parts cost I believe he said. Everyone gets the charge. Which I think is bull. It's like the charge on your electrical bill. If you look there is some obscurely named little charge of a couple bucks that is for us to pay the bills of the people who don't pay theirs. Figure out the fairness of that one.

Anyway, thanks everyone.

Guest Anonymous

They do this at dealerships with tires, too, at least here. When my brother bought his truck, there was a "tire disposal fee".... or something like that

We also have a brokea$$ state that cant stop wasting money and a con artis governor who is charging more hidden fees & taxes than the little jews at aol time warner.

Businesses never pay state/federal fees or taxes consumers do

Glad it worked out for you and your car is running good.

They do this at dealerships with tires, too, at least here. When my brother bought his truck, there was a "tire disposal fee".... or something like that

Every new tire purchase in NY gets the fee, whether you take the old tires back or not. I'm not sure (nor care, really) about elsewhere...

Every new tire purchase in NY gets the fee, whether you take the old tires back or not. I'm not sure (nor care, really) about elsewhere...

Not here.. I made 'em take that stupid charge off and I took the tires back for a bonfire. Hello EPA.