gremlins after i say no problems with my cutty

musthavemuzk

jan 10 after work the alt in my cutty dies. kinda screwed plans i had for that night. so ASAP sat morning i got a reman alt and a new belt and got them on. 95 for the alt and 20 for the belt. about 30 minutes to remove alt and then almost an hour to put alt back in and new belt on.

now i am hearing more noises. i think it is my power steering pump as the steering is kinda stiff.

so soon i will be replacing that.

is it easy to replace the PS pump?

Monty

If you don't have a pulley remover tool, just have pep boys or wherever you get the pump transfer your original pulley to the new one. If you dont run into any complications, then it's a 15 minute job, plus some time for bleeding the system (just steering left and right without hitting the "stops"). THe only possible complications I can imagine is if you have problems getting the pressure line to screw back in, but what I did to make it easier was to screw it in JUST before putting the pump in it's place. You may need to remove the little metal bracket that prevents the pump lines from moving (1 bolt 15mm)

Get the puller!!!

For me it was a nightmare changing the pump because the pressure fitting would not turn. Instead of the pressure fitting turning, it broke free the part of the pump that the pressure fitting goes into.

It was a 5hr operation requiring bending the metal lines to get the pump out. NOT fun at all.

I had the same problem changing the pump on my wife's '88, but luckily I had pulley remover so I had already removed the pulley which allowed me to put a wrench on that piece the pressure fitting screws into.

OK so this puller is it a special one or will any puller work?

after i had my turn signal switch changed i priced the steering wheel puller. it came to about 8-20 bux all depended on where and what brand. will one like this work?

Monty

You need a special one like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40749

I borrowed one from O'Reillys for no cost (KD Tools brand), but I ended up buying the one at Harbor Freight (generic) when it was on sale for $10. I haven't tried the Harbor Freight one yet, it doesn't seem like the quality is as good as the KD Tools, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.