First W-Body...First V6...What's Up Guys!

hopefulfan_dc

I just bought my first V6 and its a Cutlass Supreme International....I loved it when I saw it. I have had four other cars...all Japs, and now I'm home! What should I know about this car to keep it going strong forever. I got 150K but i cost a couple of pennies and a brake job!

Just gimme some of your tips to keep it running and if you got a Honda or a Toyota or a Mazda...holla at me...I got you.

Do you have the 3.4 engine? If so then you should check your timing belt. There's lots of info on that here. The other thing that sucks about those engines is the alternator is in a stupid place. But if you've been into jap cars you are probably skilled at that shit anyways.. lol

If you got the 2.8/3.1 or 3100, they are good engines not much to worry about.

haha after dealing with imports even a 3.4 should be a walk in the park to you :wink:

seriously though, welecome to our little insaneasylum. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, keep that 3.1 in tune, and she'll be as reliable as any import engine. Here's some stuff to check/change since it has that many miles on it.

Change oil, oil filter.

Change tranny fluid, filter, gasket.

Flush radiator.

Change fuel filter.

Change sparkplugs with AC Delco plugs.

Change plug wires with AC Delco.

Change PVC valve.

Change air filter.

Run GM Top Engine cleaner through motor [Can get from GM dealer].

Replace any worn vaccuum lines.

Check for worn struts.

If your car has the common "ass sag", you'll need new rear leaf spring pads.Moog Mono-Leaf Spring Pads #K6544

Have the subframe mounts inspected (check with the dealer to see if the car has been serviced via the subframe mount recall)

Check rear brakes.

Use only NorthAmerican rear brake parts (American made is possible, Everyone else uses low grade materials resulting in early warpage and failures).

Check rear monoleaf for wear at the end points. (Monoleaf is fibreglass and constant movement causes them to crack at the ends and fail)

Resin blocks are usually placed under the ends of the monoleaf to prevent splitting, the rubber ends the factory put on this part just doesnt cut it.

If the blocks are already there. No probs.

Guest Anonymous

Probably a nice car, but one word of warning... no one is "into" honda,s toyotas, or any other jap crap... thats enemy territory,... and if its a 3.4... ouch.

Guest Anonymous
no one is "into" honda,s toyotas, or any other jap crap

That's not entirely true. I wouldn't mind having a Supra TT, Integra Type-R and few select other cars.

True, but I have a feeling he may be an ex-ricer, etc... I'm not sure, and I dont want to cast judgement... it would only be fair to warn him ahead of time that this is a strongly anti-rice board..

I'd take private messaging on how to beef up the toyota 1.8 in my PONTIAC Vibe.

My "91" 3.1 has about 220,000 mile on it. The fuel filter has yet to be replaced because of rust fears but most that goes wrong on these engines has been dealt with already.

I got a tip though, I just tossed out $258 cause of a dead computer. Never hurts to have a spare if you have $50 to throw away at a junk yard. I'd have saved $200.

Vibe GT's have the H.O. 1.8 with a 6 speed manual. 172-180 hp ?

The regular ones like mine (auto tranny) have the 130hp 1.8 with an optional supercharger bringing it to 173 hp.

Takes 4000 rpm to really get it moving.

Thanks everybody... :D ...especially 90TGP...that's what i'm lookin for...

A 1.8 toyota...damn the baby engine!...if you got money put that turbo engine in it I forgot the number but there are a lot of people who have done it online...

I basically maintain the rice cars (and I don't really like them any more I'm out of college so I'll never need one agian!!!) GO USA :!: ...two cars with over 300K...all done by me...I hate racing cars that I know aint really that fast...wait till I get my G-body....then I'll be racing!

TTYL...everyone!

Probably a nice car, but one word of warning... no one is "into" honda,s toyotas, or any other jap crap... thats enemy territory,... and if its a 3.4... ouch.

ouch?...3.4 motors seem fine my new cutty has one and its great 8)

Shit you guys are assholes. Alright, so he owns acouple of import cars, big fucking deal. He joined here because he wanted some constructive info about his W. Not to hear you guys bitch about rice.

I used to drive a 1983 Civic. OH SHIT, I GUESS THAT MAKES ME A RICER.

Get off your high horse ross, atleast his shit runs, and Hokem. Who spent more money then the car is worth to rebuild their engine. Oh yeah. You.

I could understand if it was a nicer car, but come on. Some W's are alright, but overall their basically beaters. They last way to god damn long and they take abuse like its their job.

How about that truth.