Another UB3 in a lumina pictures (kinda big)

Hairdo12

hey i took some pictures finally of my work. the first pic is kind of blurry but u get the idea the rest are good.

I havnt installed the oil pressure sensor yet bc im waiting for next oil change, and the temp isnt showing bc i just fired the motor up to take a shot of the tac and didnt feel like sitting around for it to warm up.

i put after market buttons underneath the dash near the trunk button (sorry i didnt take a pic of that) hardest part of the whole project was getting the gear selecter in. i basically have the same setup as badflash

Mach24112.jpg

Mach24111.jpg

Mach24108.jpg

Mach24109.jpg

Man, noobs are going to get confused around here, they're going to start looking for UB3 clusters in Luminas in the junkyards. You guys are doing an awesome job, that's more work than I'd probably take on.

no i didnt use the blue plastic its sitting here in my pile of crap heading for the trash can. i double tinted the plastic with 20% tints on both sides - it hides the insides great and allows all light to show through still. I at first had only one side of the plastic tinted with 20% and you could still see the electronics on the inside if you looked hard... also i was blinded at night cause it was so damn bright.

Man, noobs are going to get confused around here, they're going to start looking for UB3 clusters in Luminas in the junkyards. You guys are doing an awesome job, that's more work than I'd probably take on.

Im gunna custom-mold one into muh console!!1

no i didnt use the blue plastic its sitting here in my pile of crap heading for the trash can. i double tinted the plastic with 20% tints on both sides - it hides the insides great and allows all light to show through still. I at first had only one side of the plastic tinted with 20% and you could still see the electronics on the inside if you looked hard... also i was blinded at night cause it was so damn bright.

:think:

You guys ARE hooking up the dimmer capability via the same output the headlight sends to the stock radio for VF dimming, yes?

You guys ARE hooking up the dimmer capability via the same output the headlight sends to the stock radio for VF dimming, yes?

i tried to hook it up but i dont know what was going on with it bc it would flash bright and then go dim and continue to do that. my solution was a stroke of luck that the double tint was the perfect harmony for both day and night time use.

what are u ppl doing to reset the mileage?

i flipped the toggle switch 180 degrees so that when its down it shows trip and when its up it shows odometer. switches are unmarked so only i know the secret switch :wink:

i tried to hook it up but i dont know what was going on with it bc it would flash bright and then go dim and continue to do that. my solution was a stroke of luck that the double tint was the perfect harmony for both day and night time use.

yeah you have it hooked up to the wrong dimmer wire. There's a brown one and a gray one. Whichever you used and made it flash, use the other :lol: I can't remember offhand which is which, I THINK the brown is the correct one.

Gee.. they're coming out of the wood work now, I almost wish I hadn't posted pics of the finished product. I don't mind variations but to totally copy someone is wrong, I've made every effort to not do with my car. I understand how Steve feels cause it really takes away from what the project was supposed to be, original.

Good work I guess. :roll:

Gee.. they're coming out of the wood work now, I almost wish I hadn't posted pics of the finished product. I don't mind variations but to totally copy someone is wrong, I've made every effort to not do with my car. I understand how Steve feels cause it really takes away from what the project was supposed to be, original.

With all due respect, what's so wrong with other people attempting the same mod that you did? Putting a UB3 cluster in a Lumina is something that neither I nor many others here would have ever thought of. As we saw with your cluster, it looks cool, and is not that hard to install.

Besides, this kind of thing happens for a lot of mods related to our cars. Many people have switched out some of their body parts for body parts from a Z34 lumina. There had to be one person who was the first to figure out how to do it, and others followed his/her lead. The same goes for the tons of people who have put DICs of some variety in their non-DIC cars, or for the people that have fabricated custom air intakes. They were all following the example set by another W-body owner.

Frankly, I'd be proud to see people attempting the same thing I did because they thought it was that cool. If we were all building truly custom cars here, then yeah, I'd say copying techniques would be bad. But we're dealing with relatively no frills GM cars from the 1980s/1990s, so there are only so many things that can be done in the first place.

Frankly, I'd be proud to see people attempting the same thing I did because they thought it was that cool. If we were all building truly custom cars here, then yeah, I'd say copying techniques would be bad. But we're dealing with relatively no frills GM cars from the 1980s/1990s, so there are only so many things that can be done in the first place.

:werd:

I cant believe your getting all butt hurt becasue people are putting UB3's in their Luminas. Hell if I had a Lumina and it wasent that hard I would do it too.

I guess it's not right but atleast Daggar had enough respect to make it his own which didn't bother me, cause mine was still original. I guess I'm just a bit choked cause now I need to come up with something different, cause something is not one-of-a-kind if 20 other people have the exact same thing.

Guest Anonymous

I agree with you badflash... you come up with one cool idea for your car and EVERYONE has to copy it... it looses its uniquness... shit like that blows.

Guest Anonymous
what are u ppl doing to reset the mileage?

i flipped the toggle switch 180 degrees so that when its down it shows trip and when its up it shows odometer. switches are unmarked so only i know the secret switch :wink:

Its still not reading the actual mileage on the car then, huh?

WHO F*CKING CARES? Its a cool idea. Previous people have put HUD's in their cars, now I did it.. OMG! End of the world! Its a neat swap... seeing as how it was entirely possible, others are going to want to do it too... who cares. Perhaps we should credit everyone who owns a Cutlass Supreme for supplying the cluster. Or NipponDenso for creating them.... they might not want their cluster in a Lumina.

I don't think its a big goddamn deal. I was the first person to throw a pre94 DIC into a '94+. Then others followed. Did I fucking bitch and moan that 'someone stole my idea'? No.. I could care less... the parts and information is out there for anyone who cares to investigate it.

Guest Anonymous
I was the first person to throw a pre94 DIC into a '94+. Then others followed. Did I fucking bitch and moan that 'someone stole my idea'? No.. I could care less... the parts and information is out there for anyone who cares to investigate it.

Umm... didnt I do that first? :?:

I was the first person to throw a pre94 DIC into a '94+. Then others followed. Did I fucking bitch and moan that 'someone stole my idea'? No.. I could care less... the parts and information is out there for anyone who cares to investigate it.

Umm... didnt I do that first? :?:

No. You started asking questions after I put it in mine and threw up a few pictures.

Guest Anonymous
No. You started asking questions after I put it in mine and threw up a few pictures.

YOU'RE that person... I was wondering who it was... it was so long ago. I remember you wired it up, and got it working, but never mounted it, so I went blindly into that stage with mixed results...