any one have a problem getting the hood open

atvfirefighter62

my 90 lumina's hood hasnt been opened in a few years (its been off the road) now that th gas price is soaring higher and higher and i work 45 miles away my truck doesnt get good gas milage so i am going to toss her back on the road but i cant get the dang hood open the handle works fine feel the cord pull with handle but hood doesnt pop up

i've had the problem with cars @ works...mostly gp's and such...like davis said, lube the shit outta the latch assembly...then work it back and forth some, and it should be all good...

Do you have any room to wedge something under the hood? Cardboard works good and shouldn't scratch the paint (used this method when mine was frozen this winter).

Make sure that when you pull the cable out that it goes back down when you let go of the lever. The latch is a two-part mechanism, the pull out, and when the handle goes back down, it slides back in, releasing the hood.

I had to tear out my grill and burn the covering off the cable, then yank on it with a pair of vice griops, my hand slipped and i put a huge gash in my left hand, THROUGH my mechanics gloves!

I had to tear out my grill and burn the covering off the cable, then yank on it with a pair of vice griops, my hand slipped and i put a huge gash in my left hand, THROUGH my mechanics gloves!

ouch! :shock:

But im guessing you did get it open?

One time when I first got my car I told my friend to pop the trunk while I was sitting there pulling and yanking to get the hood open. After about 5 min I finally relize that he never popped the hood :lol: