Remedies for peeling paint?

wally05

Hey guys, i have some paint peeling on the roof and a tiny bit on the trunk of my black cutty (will get pics when possible). Anyone know any cheap remedies for this? I'm currently rebuilding the brakes and some other things and can't afford to do anything expensive to it. But, I also can't let it and keep peeling...

Korey

Slap some wax on it and hope for the best..

There's really nothing you can do about it. GM used cheap paint (my 88 GP was HORRIBLE!) and the spoiler on my current car is peeling too. It will have to be sanded and repainted.

I'm chasing a spot of peeling paint across my hood and roof. Just paint on some touch up paint, wax over it (after it sets for a few days) then if it starts peeling, touch it up. I've been doing this for 2+ years now and I slowed the peeling process down a lot.

Feather sand the edges of the paint and then get some touch up paint, and cover it up. I did that on my cutty and it seemed to work pretty good, if you take your time painting it should look pretty decent, make sure you get the exact match touch up paint.

Anyone want to take me through feather-sanding the paint? My body work experience is pretty limited. I helped my cousin restore his 85 camaro z28, but that was awhile ago.

Korey

you feather the paint by roughing up the surrounding paint about 6 inches around the spot you need to touch up. then you wet sand that area. primer it if you feel like you need to. or you can just paint the spot.

I'll tell you how I plan on dealing with the peeling paint on my Regal: PRESSURE WASHER!

Although I haven't attempted to "patch" the areas that have peeled away on my 95 Regal, I used to have an 87 Grand Am that had badly peeling paint. After it started peeling, I tried touching up the "bald" areas, but the paint kept peeling off around the areas I touched up.

I'm afraid you're going to need to have your whole car sanded down to bare metal and have it re-primed and painted. Forget taking it to MAACO, unless you don't mind having your new paint peel off when the paint underneath lets loose...

To sand the paint you wanna start with probably 400-600 grit ONLY in the really bad areas. This will make the surface ready for the spray can, after you put a couple coats (I'd recommend at least 3) then wetsand the new paint with about 1500 grit and then 2000grit for a nice smooth finish. Use some rubbing compound, then polish to make the dull (but smooth) paint shiney! And then wax to protect it.

Does anyone have any more info on this peeling paint issue that seem to plague alot of W-Bodies?

I ask because the paint on my car is quite thick and is not chipping anywhere that I can see.

Did some cars get thin coats...or will my paint start to chip eventually no matter what??

And will GM do anything for people with this problem? Obvisously alot of our cars are fairly old now so I bet they would laugh at someone that asked them that..but just wondering.

- Jeff L.

GM has a policy in place where they will repaint any car with defective paint that's 6 model years old or newer. Anything older than that and you're screwed. I can't for the life of me remember where I found that info, but I do believe it popped up when I did a search for "defective GM paint" over a year ago...

Cool, yeah I know that Chrysler paint was terrible in the late 80s to early 90s..not to sure about Ford paint...but I do know Ford doesn't put as much paint on as GM does..

- Jeff L.

GM has a policy in place where they will repaint any car with defective paint that's 6 model years old or newer. Anything older than that and you're screwed. I can't for the life of me remember where I found that info, but I do believe it popped up when I did a search for "defective GM paint" over a year ago...

Its not really a policy, its called a warranty. Its 6 years/100,000 miles and its a warranty that you get with the car when you buy it brand new. Its like the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty you get with the car. But yes, they will. They had to repaint the hood on my moms '00 SSEi at 99,800 miles, it had been peeling since around 30k. So we waited until the absolute latest we could to get it fixed to try to prevent it from happening as soon afterwards.

The problem with the gm paint in the late 80's/early 90's is a primer that they used that the paint didn't stick to.

Shawn