UB3 gauge cluster conversion question

Grand Moff Joseph

I know that a couple of people here have recently figured out a way to switch out the gauge glusters in their Luminas with a UB3 cluster from a Cutlass. I would like to do the same, but would like two things (hopefully)...

1. To the few people that got this to work, is there anyway any of you could create a howto document for this conversion?

2. Where in the heck can I procure a UB3 cluster? I know the junkyard is always an option, but is there a easy way to test them to see if they work correctly/at all?

Thanx!

GMJ

Ask people IMO its kind of a custom build the whole time.... but maybe i'm wrong....

and the junkyard is gonna have to be the place... most of them work if the have not been smashed

good point on needing the jumpbox steve...thanx!

I looked at the video of someone's Z34 with a UB3 in it, and it looks like there is a lot of blank space on the cluster...is that how all of the UB3s look, or what?

Probably the most useful thing for me (and any others wanting to do this) would be a list of the wiring pattern needed for the connecter plug

I'll give you some help.

Here are some pics of the UB3 in a Cutty (snagged from google)

cutty1.jpg

cutty2.jpg

Here's the UB3 with no cover or lens on it

cutty3.jpg

The cover has the warning light names printed on it. As you can see the UB3 in it's orginal form is oblong.

I plan to do a write up on this topic soon I am getting emails and PM's for it. I just need to get another UB3 out of the Junkyard for showing various parts.

So, i take it that some modifications to the lumina's cluster housing will need to be done to make the UB3 fit properly?

Thanx for the info! :)

So, i take it that some modifications to the lumina's cluster housing will need to be done to make the UB3 fit properly?

Well depends on how you tackle it.

Contact me on Yahoo daggar2k

I fair bit of modification to the lumina cluster is required, as well you need to find a spot for the control buttons, plus rewire the harness and add a few wires.

I posted the Lumina-cutty wiring in another thread

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26145&highlight=lumina+digital

There's gonna be a lot of lumina's with digi dash's and a lot of cuttys with out. Cutty owners better lock your doors! :lol:

There's gonna be a lot of lumina's with digi dash's and a lot of cuttys with out. Cutty owners better lock your doors!

LOL...I can see steve robbing everyone's car till he finds the parts he needs...(j/k)

for the trip/reset buttons, would it be too much trouble to just put them in the same place they normally would (on the cluster housing itself)?

their cars didn't get cool options like the cutlasses and gps so they are modding their luminas with those parts. its cool though it makes their cars different but before to much longer all of them are going to have ub3s so they won't be different :lol:

I think its funny how Ross complains that we, the lumina drivers bastardize our cars when in his sig, he proclaims himself as a parts Bastardizer.

Well, you see, Since obviously Luminas stay running longer then Grand Prixs and Cutlasses, we figure since we didn't get it at birth means we should get organ donations from other dead cars.

Guest Anonymous
I think its funny how Ross complains that we, the lumina drivers bastardize our cars when in his sig, he proclaims himself as a parts Bastardizer.

Well, you see, Since obviously Luminas stay running longer then Grand Prixs and Cutlasses, we figure since we didn't get it at birth means we should get organ donations from other dead cars.

I bastardize parts from other grand prix's... not parts from other models... and grand prix's and cuttys will outlive your POS luminas! :lol:

Hi,

I've read as much as I can find about changing out the base cluster and putting in the UB3, it all seemed pretty straightforward...

I've got a '90 Cutlass Supreme SL with the base cluster. I recently got a UB3 cluster from, you guessed it, a '90 CSSL...

So, when I come to swap the clusters, I find that the 32-pin socket on the UB3 is slightly different to the one on my base cluster, so my 32 pin plug won't fit..!

Any help, suggestions, places where I can get a suitable plug or some sort of adapter..?

Thanks.

I also just noticed that the 'UB3' cluster has a sticker on it which says "Denso" "Made in Japan" and "92" on it (though I'm 99% certain that it did come out of a '90 Supreme).

The Base cluster just says "GM" on it.

Dammit! This was supposed to be so simple...

Oh well... any suggestions are welcome (within reason!)

Albion.

Check out the main page, http://www.w-body.com . There, under upgrades, is where you find out how to change the connector and rewire it. The UB3 is made by denso, and that's probably why it outlives the GM ones. I've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with a UB3.

Edit: Link next post down, I'm no good with frames.

1993 Lumina Z34. Crate Motor enroute.

Ah, the sweet smell of irony.

Thanks guys, I'd already read (and even printed out) all the rewiring details from the Upgrades section, it's just that the plug itself won't fit into the new cluster.

I'll re-read it in case I missed something, and thanks for helping!

Albion.

Well technically you need the plug from the UB3, but truthfully you can just remove the little plastic ridges from your existing connector and use it. I did on my CS when I converted it and it worked great.

Thanks Justin, that's what I was considering unless I can acquire the right plug.

(Someone should come up with some kind of adapter for this process and make millions selling them to clods like me :)

Albion.