tranny

grandprixturbo_218

i want to convert to a 5 speed but don't even know where to start i have a 89 tgp also are there any trannies that will handle the torque i will be putting a chip in it and will be pushing 16psi soon

Easiest way to do a swap is to get a complete donor car. That way you can just move one piece to the other.

Best cars in my opinion to look for 1988 or 1989 GP SE model. Strong 282 trannies in those cars and not too hard to find.

If you are not a very experienced mechanic and/or you are not mechanically enklined...DO NOT ATTEMPT THE JOB!!

i am 2 months away from a college degree as a autamotive technician and have been wrenching for at least 10 years the wwork its self doesn't even intimidate me i just need to know what to look for to do the job

Right on... :D

Some truly like the 284 Muncie...but I had, and the current owner of the car I did a swap on has had, very good luck with the 282 that came out of a high mileage 1989 GP SE. The only hassles in the job (which is not that bad) is finding a clutch that can handle the torque, cutting the offset Square hole for the clutch master cylinder, and then programming the chip to work with the 5-speed. Yell at Jay (god910) as he is still burning them for people. I would do one for you, but I do not have an EPROM station anymore. Try to make sure you get the half-shafts rebuilt before you complete the job...and do your timing chain!! (Sorry inside jab at another member!) :lol: 8)

no i didnt have to take english for the degree and i want to push my car to be as fast as it can be thats just the way i am i want it to be faster than i can handle it is strange i need to feel scared to have a good time in a car or i just have a death wish

no i didnt have to take english for the degree and i want to push my car to be as fast as it can be thats just the way i am i want it to be faster than i can handle it is strange i need to feel scared to have a good time in a car or i just have a death wish

If you have a death wish, buy some Nitto 555R's and wonder if your spider gears will fly out and hit you in the face. :lol:

If you have a death wish, buy some Nitto 555R's and wonder if your spider gears will fly out and hit you in the face. :lol:

If I did not know how to shift I would also blame it on the Nitto's.. J/K.

Back to the topic, I got mine out of a 1989 Oldsmobile Cuttlas, 2.8 engine, had the transmission, driveshaft, rebuilt, When I take it appart I will probably rebuild the engine and replace the turbo at the same time.

Then I got a daily driver

Adam S.

Hey it was a launch thank you very much, I never got to shift. :lol: Seriously though, if the tranny was not built by a shop you KNOW AND TRUST to do a good job, pay for it again. Curtis is in the 12's and has only broken 1 tranny. My mid 14 sec car destroyed one on it's 3rd pass w/ less than 5K on a fresh build. The tranny was built before I got the car and I didn't realize the UTMOST IMPORTANCE of a good rebuild. If they half ass it when they put the diff. in (the most common thing is re-using the shims that came out of it) and just assume it's good enough, there WILL BE enough room for the spider gears to walk away from each other. Then poof, you have a VSS sitting behind your car and 500 people staring at you. :oops: