disabling power locks

93CutlassSupreme

I've had to jump start my car twice this week.

i think it's because the power locks are killing the battery. when the car is off i can hear them cycle by themselves every couple minutes

how do i disabe the power locks? my owner's manual doesn't tell what fuse they're on.

'88 CS

thanks.

they're not on the CTSY fuse, are they? that would mean no interior lights or anything either.. I can't think at the moment of what else they would be. hell, I should know this.. i installed power locks/windows in my CS :?

they're not on the CTSY fuse, are they? that would mean no interior lights or anything either.. I can't think at the moment of what else they would be. hell, I should know this.. i installed power locks/windows in my CS :?

They actually are on that fuse.

how can i disable them while still having interior lights?

I'd say just find out what's causing your problem. Maybe one of your switches is sticking. Pull off your driver's switchpad and see if it stops cycling. If it doesn't, try the passenger side.

So you think the fuse is causing the locks to cycle over and over for him? That doesn't seem to make sense to me, or am I missing something. :shrug:

no. he feels the power locks are causeing the battery to run dead, and by disableing them via the fuse he wants to make the battery quit running dead.

i say pull the fuse and see if it stops, then go from there.

no. he feels the power locks are causeing the battery to run dead, and by disableing them via the fuse he wants to make the battery quit running dead.

i say pull the fuse and see if it stops, then go from there.

Ok, I got it. Then yeah I would try to do that. But I have never heard of a W, let alone anycar doing this.

My friend's dad has a Corvette with that special remote entry that you don't have to click any buttons..it just opens the door when the transpoder is close enough to the car....and that thing caused the battery to go dead because it kept sensing the key fob at the car and then away - problem was it was right on the edge of the distance ou need..so his dad just puts the keys further away now..so the door locks have the potential to kill the battery.

Hell on my Lumina if I'm at idle and I click the window to go up if it already closed the rpms drop 200 rpm or so lol...damn W-Body wiring lol

- Jeff L.

Hell on my Lumina if I'm at idle and I click the window to go up if it already closed the rpms drop 200 rpm or so lol...damn W-Body wiring lol

That just means your battery or alternator is shit.

:withstupid: That or I was gonna say the power options circuit breaker, but then windows may be gone too. I can get a pic of the relay though, if you need it.

My car does the same thing the locks down actualy cycle they sound like it i have no idea what it is never killed my battery. It dont do it while im driving so im not to worried about it.

If you have keyless entry, def. check the receiver. Those things had a ton of problems. Notes on that here:

http://www.w-body.com/service/keyless-entry.html

Sounds like that may be it, since you say they cycle every few minutes. If that's not it, then I'm not sure what to say. Can't imagine a mechanical or simple electrical problem causing door locks to cycle reguarly, sounds electronic to me.

i'm not sure if it's the power locks, i can just hear a clicking every couple mintues when the car is off, and the battery is totally dead if i let it sit for more than a couple hours.

obviously i have a power leak somewhere

Hmm, well Shawn can answer this but on the coupes I thought there is something in the seat belts that cause them to click all the time? I could be wrong though.

Hmm, well Shawn can answer this but on the coupes I thought there is something in the seat belts that cause them to click all the time? I could be wrong though.
I beleive that every W i've seen with the seat belts in the doors make the clicking noise. It is so if you have the belts bucked all the time, you can open the door as hard as you want without them locking. I don't know how it works, but it keeps the belts from locking when you are opening the door.

Yeah, one click a few seconds after shutting the door is normal.

It's exactly what Dustin says it is, the seatbelt retractor solenoid.

My friend that we gave the 88 to said that one day it was draining the battery for no good reason. He discovered the cause by accident: when he tried to adjust the power seat, it moved automatically back to where it was. Turns out there was a short in it. He fiddled with the power seat switch and managed to fix it.

Anyway, if unplugging the power lock relay doesn't fix it, it's time to start pulling fuses.