Official March 19 dyno thread

Aaron

Well I just got back, had an AWESOME time. I will let everyone post their own numbers, but I took my red Z34. It has a brand new GM crate engine, with about 250 miles.

I made 178.83 front wheel horsepower at 5400 rpm, and 186.47 lb ft of torque at 4100 rpm. At the crank, this is about 205hp and 214 tq at the crank using a 15% drivetrain loss, and this is just about perfect for an auto crate engine (rated 200hp/200tq).

The curve is pretty good believe it or not, torque is pretty much above 150 ft lbs from 2,000rpm all the way until 6500. After 6,000, the car just nosedives, quite literally. At 7,000rpm it is making just 125hp and less than 100 lb ft. The air/fuel ratio hovers right at 13 the entire run, leaning out just a tad (down to 12), after 6,000rpm, so that is good.

Overall I had a great time, I raced turbosedan, and he had about 1 car length on me at 80 when I shut down and he continued going. Luke's TGP 5-speed did AMAZING, other than the fact that it was leaner than shit.

Good times, I'll get my white car up there this May, and I'm looking for about 250fwhp.

Well I just got back, had an AWESOME time. I will let everyone post their own numbers, but I took my red Z34. It has a brand new GM crate engine, with about 250 miles.

I made 178.83 front wheel horsepower at 5400 rpm, and 186.47 lb ft of torque at 4100 rpm. At the crank, this is about 205hp and 214 tq at the crank using a 15% drivetrain loss, and this is just about perfect for an auto crate engine (rated 200hp/200tq).

The curve is pretty good believe it or not, torque is pretty much above 150 ft lbs from 2,000rpm all the way until 6500. After 6,000, the car just nosedives, quite literally. At 7,000rpm it is making just 125hp and less than 100 lb ft. The air/fuel ratio hovers right at 13 the entire run, leaning out just a tad (down to 12), after 6,000rpm, so that is good.

Overall I had a great time, I raced turbosedan, and he had about 1 car length on me at 80 when I shut down and he continued going. Luke's TGP 5-speed did AMAZING, other than the fact that it was leaner than shit.

Good times, I'll get my white car up there this May, and I'm looking for about 250fwhp.

What car did TurboSedan race?

A dark brown Lebaron GTS or something like that, it was pretty quick, but I wouldn't even have to guess as to what my white car would have done to it... :oops:

You don't know how much I wanted to bring it, it killed me being the 3rd slowest car there. Out of the 25+ cars there, only 3 were normally aspirated, a 04 Cavilier (116hp), and a 3rd gen Camaro (240hp).

Nice hp/tq numbers on that new motor Aaron. Did anyone get video? Or no? I can't wait to see what the white car will do in May :wink:

Yah I think turbosedan did, he'll get it later I'm sure. Here are a few people's numbers, they can clarify and brag about them later:

turbosedan-178hp/217tq

sl3196-230hp

LukeZ34-222hp/320tq

TGPilot-196hp

Autogary-315hp

CRX-396hp @ 8600rpm

Remember these are all at the wheels too, and I can't recall the rest...

Guest TurboSedan
A dark brown Lebaron GTS or something like that, it was pretty quick, but I wouldn't even have to guess as to what my white car would have done to it... :oops:

You don't know how much I wanted to bring it, it killed me being the 3rd slowest car there. Out of the 25+ cars there, only 3 were normally aspirated, a 04 Cavilier (116hp), and a 3rd gen Camaro (240hp).

it's actually called Black Cherry Metallic and it looks almost just like the '94--'96 DCM Impala SS. and Aaron, i had you by more than one car length! :wink: maybe not two car lengths but you were further back then my rear bumper at the end of the race.

As I recollect, the auto LQ1 for 91-93 was rated 200hp/210tq.

No it was 200/200. The 5-speeds got 210/215, the added torque was a direct result from the .25 bump in compression. The added compression of the 96-97 motors, 9.7:1, added up to 225 tq.

Turbosedan, you beat me, but not that bad. I stopped around 80, while you kept going. Maybe you thought that I was still on it, I dunno. I'm pretty honest about races dude, I could care less about a loss or two, in fact I was quite surprised how strong the turbo Chrystlers ran, excluding the one that pulled 112...lol

As for the color, whatever, looked brown to me :D

Guest TurboSedan
I stopped around 80, while you kept going. Maybe you thought that I was still on it, I dunno.

hmmm i distinctly remember your GF saying you raced up to 85mph. i'll admit i wasn't paying much attention to my speedo since it isn't accurate anyway (and i'm too busy watching for traffic etc when i race). but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you were seeing my taillights directly while i had to look through a rearview mirror :lol: it wasn't exactly a close race as far as i'm concerned ("close" being a relative term), i put a car length on you pretty quickly after i spooled but then you sorta just hung back there then it was over. and you definately weren't catching up or gaining any ground. my car was still pulling good when i let off (and yes, i know you let off before i did).

but again, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt :wink:

Girlfriend? Not quite, just a friend. No girlfriend of mine would smoke that much. 8)

As for the race, it doesn't matter really. You beat me, it doesn't matter whether it was 1 car length or 1.5...lol. I don't remember exactly where I stopped, somehwere around 80, but it looked like you kept going for a few seconds. You hit 4th gear? I stopped liek midway through 3rd, but again, your gears are shorter than mine.

It isn't a big deal, it was all in good fun :D

Guest TurboSedan
Girlfriend? Not quite, just a friend. No girlfriend of mine would smoke that much. 8)

As for the race, it doesn't matter really. You beat me, it doesn't matter whether it was 1 car length or 1.5...lol. I don't remember exactly where I stopped, somehwere around 80, but it looked like you kept going for a few seconds. You hit 4th gear? I stopped liek midway through 3rd, but again, your gears are shorter than mine.

It isn't a big deal, it was all in good fun :D

yeah i was in 4th gear, i usually shift to 4th around 75mph IIRC. i'm not sure how far i can bring 4th gear up to...probably around 115mph but i've never had the chance to check (i just now put new Z rated 225/50-16s on the GTS so i will find out soon 8) ). it was definately a fun race! i'm sure i kept going after you let off because i simply was watching the road in front of me and not you lol. but yeah...it was 1-1.5 car lengths somewhere in there. definately not enough to make an issue of it (sorry if i sounded like i did).

i can't wait to race this summer in my Cutty! sounds like that car will be pushing 210ish whp & around 250+ wtq SOON :D

Ya know I just gotta laugh. :lol: :lol: There isn't a w-body on this board that wouldn't take a sun dial to clock. :lol: :lol: :lol: Lets be honest were slugs with maybe a couple of exceptions.. :shrug:

Jud

320 ft-lbs of torque....sounds like the torque converter to me.

One of my dyno runs shows that I made close to 190 ft-lbs at the wheels with my 3100. Don't start looking at the torque curve until its fully *locked*.

What type of dynometer was this on? I assume a DynoJet....did you get the data files from the dyno place? Because I did.....and there is a cool thing c alled DynoJet RunViewer (availbe from dynojet.com)......you can make nice jpegs to post online. :)

320 ft-lbs of torque....sounds like the torque converter to me.

One of my dyno runs shows that I made close to 190 ft-lbs at the wheels with my 3100. Don't start looking at the torque curve until its fully *locked*.

What type of dynometer was this on? I assume a DynoJet....did you get the data files from the dyno place? Because I did.....and there is a cool thing c alled DynoJet RunViewer (availbe from dynojet.com)......you can make nice jpegs to post online. :)

Luke's car is a 5-speed manual.