Found a 1991 GTP - Need opinions!

Curlybandit

I found a 1991 GTP in excellent condition. It has a 3.4L with only 118k km's, (~73k miles), about 16k more km's than my Regal. Although I really love my Regal, I really like this GTP. So what do you guys think, keep the Regal with the 3.8, or go for the GTP with the 3.4? I've been told by several GM mechanics that the LQ1 is a pig to work on, but then again, I wouldn't know...

Also, I have a friend that has a rebuilt 3.1L Turbo from TGP sitting in his garage and he's willing to part with it. If I DO pick up this GTP, would it be better to keep the 3.4 or swap in the 3.1 turbo?

What a dilemma!! :(

Thanks for the input....

Myself, I would keep the Regal. There aren't too many nice Regals around.

Nah, LQ1 isn't that bad. It's no worse to work on than any DOHC. GM mechanics are just spoiled by simple pushrod engines.

If you did buy it, I'd keep the 3.4 in it. If it throws a rod or something, then swap it.

Is the GTP an auto or a 5 speed? That'd be my decider.

Also, the LQ1 isn't that bad to work on. Yes, there are a few things that are buried (ie. coils, alternator). But the LQ1 is much faster than your L27.

Keep the Regal. If it were a 5-speed GTP then I'd consider it. There woun't be a huge power difference between the 2 cars so why bother getting yourself into something that could have lots of problems.

I think you should keep the regal, unless u hate its styleing then get the GP, but if not, i wouldnt get it, 3.4 is alot less reliable than the 3.8, 3.8's go for like 300k+ miles and the 3.4 i havent seen go past 200k without major problems and rebuilds.

Hell, If hes gonna dump a L67 in anything, Id bet the Regal would be much easier.

Keep the regal, sell steve the turbo motor, and laugh at the guy who buys the GTP and within 10k miles the Timing BElt snaps.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to stick with my Regal. The GTP is a hot car and all, (I really like the styling...), but right now the Regal is perfect, and I know that I can expect a lot of reliability and mileage out of the 3800. I know the history of the the car, as well as how much money I've already dumped into it, (damn ABS.... :verymad: ) I don't know anything about the past of the GTP and those dealers lie like mother f***ers. Thanks for the input.

About the TGP motor, I'll get more details, (note: apparently the previous owner rebuilt it, but he's a bit of a nut job, so workmanship is questionable...) I'll see if I can get a price with shipping. Just let me know if there still is interest.

Curlybandit

I know the history of the the car, as well as how much money I've already dumped into it, (damn ABS.... :verymad: )

That alone is enough to make me NEVER sell my Cutlass. I've dumped so much money into it, it's not even worth it to sell it anymore, so I'll just drive her till she dies and then run her in a demo derby :lol: . Good choice on sticking with the Regal, my winter car is going to be a Regal soon.