Drag Coefficient***(Edit on the correct terminology!)

1990lumina

Okay, so whatever you call this...I think coefficient drag, is there a site or link on this site that has the coefficent drag of all w-bodyies...or if someone just knows the drag of a 1990 Lumina Euro please post it up!

I have always been wondering what it is so....thanks

Thanks again!

- Jeff L.

It's actually termed drag coefficient. If I remember correctly, it's the perpindicular area that is resisting motion multiplied by velocity. This means the area of the vehicle that you would see from the front if the car was flattened times your speed.

I'm not sure about a link or anything I have never really read anything about drag coefficient of automobiles.

just my $.02

Drew

Cool, thanks for the info. So what would be a good drag coefficent? After posting I acually found the drag coefficent of my car to be 0.297 . I found doing a search on google which brought up the w-body site lol...

So, since math is NOT my strong point, would a higher or lower number be better? And what is good in terms of drag coefficient.

Oh and thanks for telling me the correct terminolgy..I sorta thought I had something backwards.

Thanks!

- Jeff L.

Less drag the better :wink: . The more a car resists motion the harder it is to move, increasing strain and increasing mpg.

Think of it as running with a strong wind blowing at you, as opposed to at your back pushing you. You would have a much better time with the wind at your back.

Drew

It's actually termed drag coefficient. If I remember correctly, it's the perpindicular area that is resisting motion multiplied by velocity. This means the area of the vehicle that you would see from the front if the car was flattened times your speed.

I'm not sure about a link or anything I have never really read anything about drag coefficient of automobiles.

just my $.02

Drew

"Coeffiecient of drag," "drag coefficient,"it's all the same. 8) You'll see it either way in text books, articles, etc. from what I've seen. I found it interesting that in last months Motor Trend magazine they were talking about the new Z06 Vette that will be coming out. Anyways, they said "Aero tuning reduces total lift and balances the front and rear lift coefficients while increasing the base Vette's .28 drag coefficient to .34." Anyways, they were saying with those changes and all, the Z06 should be able to hit 200mph with 500hp(they said it's already been tested into the mid 190's).

Regal GS or cutlass, ewww, lumina Z34 mabye, they look nice, but a cutlass or regal? :puke:

Well looks is a matter of taste, but your TGP is worth no more than any other W-car of similar year and similar mileage. The only time you'll be ahead is if MAYBE it has ultra low, stored in a shed mileage. If you think you're "holier than thou" because of the turbo, you got another thing coming! :lol:

3.4 doch just doesnt sound cool, 3.1 intercooled turbo sounds cool

I beg to differ you obviously haven't heard a 3.4 howling at 6500 rpm.

Obviously you haven't heard a 3.1 without mufflers ;)

were rare, faster, and are just sexy, the interior is sexy too, 3.4 doch just doesnt sound cool, 3.1 intercooled turbo sounds cool

Hmm....one phrase comes to mind....."doesnt apply to thread". Yeah, thats it.