help on some Lumina problems ::UpDate::

EurosportZ34

today was so nice out, like 44*, and i had some extra time to work on my Lumina. i have a couple problems though that i need to fix before i can take her out of storage to get her painted so that eventually i can drive her this summer...

1) Power Windows

i posted earlier about my driver's side window that goes down fine but doesn't go back up. also a couple windows will do the same but the driver's window is able to put them back up. i took the power window thingy out of the door and took it apart kinda. i took of the main outside housing off and took the clicky black part off of the actual mechanical power supply thing. i noticed that it was a little corroded in some spots but i didn't think it was enough to make it not work. what is the best way to get that corrosion off? do i take steel wool to it? is this even the best way to go about doing this?

2) Hood Cable

when i pull the hood release from inside my car it does not pop open the hood. luckly my grille was off when it first began not working so i could just do it manually. my dad says that i need to get a new hood release cable from a j/y and swap it into my car? can't i just repair the one i got or do something else so that i wouldn't have to spend who knows how long trying to get one off of a car and put it on mine. is this even the problem?

3) Trunk Release

last year i swapped trunks lids. when i swapped them i had to cut some wires to remove the old lid and i put them back together when i put on the new lid. the trunk vanity light comes on fine so there is power to the trunk. the only problem is that the trunk release button inside the car does not open the trunk. i have to use my key every time to open it up. any ideas on how to make the trunk release work?

thanks in advance guys!

8)

2. Try lubing the hood latch mechanism with a good silicone-based aerosol lube (WD-40 works in a pinch, but its protection doesn't last very long.) I use this stuff called "Tri-Flow" and it works great. On any car, whenever it's difficult to pop the hood, lube up the latch...

1. I dunno what these contacts are made out of but I'd just try some electronics cleaner..or if it is more heavy duty material try the steel wool or fine sand paper?

2. Is there tension when pulling the handle to pop the hood? If there is the cable may be just stretched and you could probably readjust it some. If there is no tension the cable is most likely broken and I'd say just replace it instead of trying to fix the break.

3. When you swapped lids did you swap out the solenoid thingy on the trunk lid..or did you just use the one that is there now. If you didn't swap them out you may have a defective solenoid deally. If you did swap it are you sure all your wiring (1 wire IIRC) is spliced together properly?

Also, I'd put a test light on the wire that goes to the solenoid thing on the trunk lid and have someone hit the button. If the light comes on then there is something wrong with your solenoid thinger..if there's no light then I guess start tracing wiring until you find a break or short. Also, that thing I believe grounds itself to the trunk lid where it attaches to the trunk lid. If there is corrosion then that might be the problem as well.

Good luck!

- Jeff L.

2. Is there tension when pulling the handle to pop the hood?

yes there is tension when i pull it but i can just keep on pulling till the point where i'd break the handle and the hood doesn't pop open

3. When you swapped lids did you swap out the solenoid thingy on the trunk lid..or did you just use the one that is there now. If you didn't swap them out you may have a defective solenoid deally.

i used all the parts from the new lid, i just wired all the old wires into the new wires. i will have to check for a break or short though...good point

2. Is there tension when pulling the handle to pop the hood?

yes there is tension when i pull it but i can just keep on pulling till the point where i'd break the handle and the hood doesn't pop open

3. When you swapped lids did you swap out the solenoid thingy on the trunk lid..or did you just use the one that is there now. If you didn't swap them out you may have a defective solenoid deally.

i used all the parts from the new lid, i just wired all the old wires into the new wires. i will have to check for a break or short though...good point

Welll for the hood thing it sounds like a rusty to seized latch so do what discostudd said and go from there

Well, when you know you have power to the solenoid in the trunk..then you will know if it is defective or not.

They it is borken I'm sure a j/y one won't be to expensive.

- Jeff L.

• 2 weeks later...

ok...so i went to the j/y today and i got a new black power windows thingy and swapped it in place of my old one and it window works fine, but now the rear right window doesn't work with it's button...it only works with the driver's. so now i'll have to go back to the j/y and get another for that window as well. just my luck. :roll:

i tried to get a new cable from a Lumina at the j/y (there was tons of bases and Euros) i got one pulled up from the front of the car's latch all the way up to the driver's wheel well area. i'm having problems though getting it passed the firewall (if that's even where it goes) and of course getting the cable off of the actual hood release lever inside the car. do i have to rip up the carpeting? any help on this matter guys?

easier to remove the plastic housing on the latch release. get it disconnected from the hood and check for the clip or two that hold it down in the engine bay and pull it throught the firewall. if you dont have the cable by tonight, i'll scan/post the GM service manual page i got on removing it, if i still have it.

if you dont have the cable by tonight, i'll scan/post the GM service manual page i got on removing it, if i still have it.

i won't have a chance to get to the j/y again tonight, so that'd be very helpful if you still got it

Does anyone have the part # for a new hood cable, does GM even carry the new ones?

what's the part number for the hood cable solution on my car?

:lol:

Tony, that fix was classic