Painting the Cutlass

RedCutlass

This spring\early summer my friend and I plan to paint our cars. We have a professional air brush and his brother did it to his Prelude many times. I'm thinking of a candy apple red w\silver stripes or flames....please post any suggestions or warnings you might have....don't wanna do anything stupid.:D

i am guessing your young due to the fact you want flames on a FWD car. I would do something classy, instead of flames or racing stripes. Just go with a quality paint job in one color or do two tone, that always looks good.

O do u have a spray gun or a air brush? Cuz a airbrush would take you hours and hors to put a coat of paint on!!! JMO later Jay

When I had my old car I was thinking about red with silver racing stripes. I dunno about Candy apple red though, I think it would look nice just the way it is.

:lol: Good call, I'm only 16.

It's a spray gun...and your right about the flames. I'm learning more toward racing stripes...a little smaller than on 1uvakind's cutlass. Also, I was thinking that instead of actually painting the stripes on, just go w\some vinyls, that way I could change the style w\out TOO much trouble. Side vinyls? But either way I want something besides my wheels to make it stand out.

On another note I just put the wheels I bought this winter on. They look great and all, but once I get up past 45 the wheel...well, more like the front end starts shaking. I thought it was because they weren't balanced, but I took it to a wheels and tires place and it still shakes. These wheels are 9 1\4 inches wide, and they stick out a good ways (more than an inch) in the front. Could this be the problem? The 'ace' tire guy's supposed to be in on friday, so I'm gonna see what he says.

that wheels aren't 9.25" wide, the tires are....IIRC, those rims don't come any wider then 8"

IIRC? My mistake, either way, that's a lot of rubber in the air stream isn't it?

They're 235-40-18

that wheels aren't 9.25" wide, the tires are....IIRC, those rims don't come any wider then 8"

IIRC? My mistake, either way, that's a lot of rubber in the air stream isn't it?

They're 235-40-18

IIRC....means If I Recall Correctly

.....that amount of rubber shouldn't make the car ride like shit. I had 315s rear and 255s on my '99 LS1 Camaro and it handled like a champ.

i would rub that car out and lower it a little and be done with it. where i grew up we used to call a certian group the guys who "pep boy special" thier cars. Do it classy the first time and do it right. Make the paint shine like new (if u have to repaint, do it the right way) and lower it a few inches. Other than that i will hunt you down if u put vinyl or flames on that car! :twisted: It looks great. Nice car for a 16 yr old!

:shock: that car looks hottt just the way it is...you should deff. just polish it up and keep it that way...BTW: whast kinda wheels are those!?... :? ...i think i want some!!

as for the front end...if the tires are balanced corectly...maybe you have a bad tie-rod or balljoint or wheelbearings!?...

once I get up past 45 the wheel...well, more like the front end starts shaking. I thought it was because they weren't balanced, but I took it to a wheels and tires place and it still shakes.

The front end of my Bonneville used to shake above 45 or 50 because it needed new front wheel bearings.

I got 225 60 16's and they rub like crazy.

Either way that car is hot. Personally I would work on modifications over a paint job if you have a car that looks like that.

Invest in the FFP stuff like UD Pully, Chip, Mounts, exhaust system.

Candy apple red is like my favorite car color. Goes awesome with polished or chrome. Ill support u on that but not racing stripes. Racing stripes look good on a very very select few cars. Cleaner looks better. Its a lumina but heres sorta your candy apple red. I know my car is more ghetto like than yours but i cant picture racing stripes with that color.

731565_12_full.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I've been thinking about ghost checkered flags for the 92... (once i get it on the road)... I think the ghost checkerd waving flags like some of the new monte's have would look really nice.

yeah...it looks like you burned an inch and they measure out to be about 7 1/2 inches.

I had vinyl on my '95 Cutlass and it was the worst thing to remove and they looked nasty after abut 3 yrs. I would recomment paint or don't do it. You can check out my old Cutlass on my cardomain page...click the www button.

I really need to update that page :lol: !