94 Regal turn signal problem

sl3196

My dad's 94 regal is having some problems with the turn signal. He said you have to push it just a little for it to work. If you push it all the way down the signals won't work. Does it just need a new signal arm?

BTW, it sounds to me like it needs a new switch. That's exactly the symptom that the wife's old Lumina had when the signal switch went out (that and the brake lights didn't work.) I replaced the signal switch and all was well...

It's a pain if you've never had a column apart before, but if you take your time you'll find that it's not really that difficult (plus I have every step outlined to make it even easier :D ...)

Oh when buying the new switch what does the with/without RSWC stand for?
Does the car have Steering Wheel controls? RSWC is GM-Speak for "redundant steering wheel controls."

Oh when buying the new switch what does the with/without RSWC stand for?
Does the car have Steering Wheel controls? RSWC is GM-Speak for "redundant steering wheel controls."
Doh! Just read that in your write up. I'll read next time before posting. :lol: Don't think it does.

Hey kevin if the cancelling springs are broke where do I get new ones?
I found the springs at Checker over in the "HELP" section. Actually, in order to net the springs, you have to buy HELP's "Cancelling Cam" kit (and pay $11 for it :shock: ...) I didn't use the cancelling cam itself because it's for older GM's, but the springs were identical (and it beat tearing apart a column at the boneyard to grab a whole turn signal switch...)

just to chime in here...i'd say thats deff. the signal switch...AND, i've replaced 2 of those in w's and, there really not as hard as it seems... :wink:
I think what intimidates most people is removing the airbag assembly. If you disconnect the battery, remove the fuse, and disconnect the CPA connector under the dash first, then the chances of it going off inadvertently in your face are practically nill...

Yeah the airbag is the only part that worries me. :lol:

I had never touched the stuff before in my life.. and was intimidated. I followed kevin's instructions and it couldn't have gone better.

Yeah the airbag is the only part that worries me. :lol:

:lol: ...i was actually scared to death of that happening too...i just disconnected the battery for a few minutes before i started (i didnt remove a fuse or anything) and all went well...so, don't be scurred... :wink:

When I replaced the cancelling springs on my old GP, all I did was remove the fuse first before removing the Airbag and it didn't go off 8) ...

you might want to put a piece of electrical tape between the wires on the back of the switch and the flat metal that it sits on at the top of the coluum. Mine grounded the wires when I tightened the steering wheel back up. I had to remove it again and add the tape.

And it took some time trying to figure out what went wrong under the dash with the wiring harness before I figured out it had to be the switch itself.......