driving in 2nd gear start?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I already did a search, but didn't find the info I needed..

Anyways, is it bad to drive around in normal conditions with 2nd gear start? My reason for asking is cause my transmission is eating itself (you probably saw the pics in the other thread) the only symptoms I have of any problems is the hard 1-2 upshift after driving for a while. Now, if I start driving in 2nd that problem is eliminated (car is just a little slower). IF it is bad for the tranny (which it probably is :roll:) what parts is it hard on? If my tranny is gonna take a dump from the hard 1-2 shifts vs. wear from driving in 2nd gear start sometimes, which would make my stupid car last longer?

isn't that 2nd gear start designed for winter driving?

Basically.. low trac conditions.

The manual recommends NOT using it for an extended period of time.

What are you guys talking about :shrug:

putting your car in 2 gear and then starting?

Its a Grand Prix thing.

LOL, kinda like its a Jeep thing. :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about hurting your trans if the 1-2 shift is already fubar'd. Drive it in 2nd gear start but take it easy on her until you're to the speed that 2nd would normally take over, then drive like you normally would.

Not a good picture, but you get some of the point of where it is...I don't have a driver's information center...It's the cheap plastic thing in front of the shifter console.

switch.jpg

OK...I took a shot of it...

switch2.jpg

I tried out the second gear start in my mom's car today...I guess in low trac conditions it would be awesome..I wouldn't worry about hurting the tranny to much....

All I had to do is shift it to the 2nd gear lock out...there's also a 1st gear lock out...

- Jeff L.

I know their was a discussion on it a while back..but I'm pretty sure any 4T60-E could add the 2nd geat start. You just had to jumper on of the wires from one of the connectors to a switch and when the switch it thrown it grounds on that pin on the connector and gives you 2nd gear start..but I don't know for sure...a search would probably turn up some results though.

- Jeff L.

When I had my 94 GP SE, the second gear start button was mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, almost toward the bottom of the dash.

Aaron

My 94 GP had it on the lower part of the dash near the parking break pedal. It was very noticable, because I accidently had it flipped on day when I had went for a drive.

Not a good picture, but you get some of the point of where it is...I don't have a driver's information center...It's the cheap plastic thing in front of the shifter console.

switch.jpg

OK...I took a shot of it...

switch2.jpg

Wow, I've NEVER seen 2nd gear start in a 91-93 GP without having a DIC. Awesome!

Yeah, mine on the '95 GTP is below the light switch.

BTW, on all car's I've ever driven, if you put it in 2nd, it'll shift from 1st to 2nd, but won't shift any higher than that.

Yeah, mine on the '95 GTP is below the light switch.

BTW, on all car's I've ever driven, if you put it in 2nd, it'll shift from 1st to 2nd, but won't shift any higher than that.

You mean putting the shifter in 2nd right? 2nd gear start will go 2nd, 3rd, OD. Putting it in 2nd is great for racing, just the right RPM shift point (probably some of the metal in my tranny pan is from doing that. :lol: )