Lumina running problem

maybe2fast

So my buddies car (my old one) would crank no start, we checked spark and we had spark. We then proceeded to start cranking and banging on the fuel tank. What bothers me is it finally started while we were banging on the fuel tank. When we got it started or when it decided to start running it was doing some weird things. The check engine light was blinking (OBD1 doesn't have a blinking code like OBD2) the low coolant light was flashing the car runs very poorly and the speedometer was raising to alittle above 5 mph. I really have no idea what this could be but, I talked to my Dad who is a Master Mechanic and he said from what I said over the phone it sounds electrical. The computer is my guess. The rpms go up and down alot, more than your basic idle relearn. my friend said it was really acting up when we were driving it and it was turning 3500 rpm. Any help would be great guys thanks

Don

Computer is my guess, OBD1 will not blink even if the car is misfiring, it does not have the capability to detect misfiring. OBD2 will blink if it is missing.