Computer chip for a 3.1L turbo

lowridincavy

does anyone know where I can get a computer chip to run a standard transmisson w/ all the modifications like 14 psi boost 11-12psi fuel.....ect.

I've been trying to get a hold of the guy that was going to sell me one but he hasn't responded. He told me "The chip comes as an adapter w/ a 29C256 EEPROM in the socket, future upgrades are easy if need be. The adapter is a moates.net G1 adapter"

If anyone can help me out that would be great.

Yeah, that guy's a real asshole. :lol:

Whoa who's that? The only two I know is Ben and Jeff M. I must have missed something.

As for the chip if you wish to do it yourself get GMPCM and have at it.

Adam

Yeah, that guy's a real asshole. :lol:

Whoa who's that? The only two I know is Ben and Jeff M. I must have missed something.

As for the chip if you wish to do it yourself get GMPCM and have at it.

Adam

It's me you bafoon :joke: :lol: Nathan, I think I've found a solution. Let me know how soon you need the chip. It sounds like ASAP so LMK, I'm gonna pull some strings. :wink:

Hey Jay I've been emailing but haven't got any response. But anyways ya I'd like to have the chip asap b/c in 2 weeks that's all I'll be waiting for. Let me know how things go.

I've been looking into this myself for the 3.1 turbo wagon that I did with Steve. It runs the W Body ECM, but has some issues. It produces 229.1 wheel HP and 261.7 wheel ft lbs on 6 psi, but leans out past 5000 rpm. I probably need too replace the fuel pump (higher volume), but I'd also bet that the stock 22 lb injectors are close too maxing out. It could also be program related.

I'm looking for anyone with the hacked Top Gun 5-speed Code (sorry about that Jeff), so I can get someone too start with that as a base program too alter for the additional fuel requirements.

I'm about too the point where I'd just give up and slap in an aftermarket ECM, though.

Guest TurboSedan

I'm looking for anyone with the hacked Top Gun 5-speed Code (sorry about that Jeff), so I can get someone too start with that as a base program too alter for the additional fuel requirements.

not to start a flamefest or hard feelings, but the Jeff M Top Gun chip is essentially hacked GM/McLaren copywrited code to begin with. it's just that GM doesn't enforce copywrite laws in regards to their EPROM codes. so i wouldn't feel too bad about buying a hacked version of the Top Gun/5-speed chip from someone or making your own.

I believe he is not feeling bad about getting one because it’s a hacked or modified GM/McLaren version, he is just showing some respect for the fact the TopGun Manual is well….. my years of work on the “TopGun†chip with a few additions to try an address it running in a manual application :wink: , and other changes like EGR and High-Boost Fuel Cut disabled :shock: . There are over 100 changes to IAC, DE, DFCO and others that still need to be tested to get it to behave, if Kenny had not sold his Maunal TGP he might have had a chance to play in all those areas. I would have to have a manual TGP here to tune and work out just those driveability problems alone, which would take a lot of time to test each area of change to confirm that the results are helping and just how much and where to make it all good with the many table for these areas. The manual TopGun is what it is and Curtis already gave his nod so any other talk would seem to be fishing :roll: .

As for GM going after anyone who hacks their chip :twisted: , thankfully for a lot of car owners that is far from an issue :) , or Superchips, Hypertech, Jet, Banks, Hotchips, Dinan, and a host of companies all over the world would not still be in existence after the last 20 years. I think it ends up being that you have the car and the stock chip/program etc so you bought those/the chip already from the manufacturer/programmer and are only paying for the changes to the chip that you already have, whether it’s a copy of yours you already own with the changes added or you just do the changes yourself!!!

For those like Curtis I still feel its better to go aftermarket, the OEM systems are 20 times more complex if not more, as an example there are too many fueling tables that delay getting results in a decent amount of time for 90% of people, enough that one owner took out a good share of the fueling tables in his chip to clean up the overkill and get down to business!!

Good luck either way Curtis, and thanks for the nod!!

Jeff M

Got to throw something in on this one. My 5 speed acts better than my auto does on Decel that's for sure. It takes forever for it to learn the DFCO after memory loss. I've never had so much as a hiccup on the 5 speed. The only thing I've ever noticed is too much fuel under load in 3rd gear. The high boost fuel cut and EGR are very much enabled in my chip, except for the modded one's I sent out, as per the persons request (EGR only, I won't disable the BFC)(don't know about Luke's though) and as I've stated before, (while accidentally, pissing off Jeff, sorry again about that) it's lower than in my TG160. I took the auto car to the track and never hit BFC w/ the wastegate lines switched. And the factory "guess-O-meter" pegged at +15 :lol: Not pissing on the back of anyones shorts here, just a FWIW. :wink:

Ya man, there are a few versions of the manual chip out there :lol: , everyone doing their own thing to it as well :wink: . There are a few operating conditions that will allow boost to go past a true 15 psi, but really anything above 12 psi is too much and to save ass the timing in mine is taken down so there are not pieces of engine left :lol: that is not to say someone cannot take a manual boost controller and/or get threaded and run 13 to 15+ psi and break things with my chip or anyone's chip, no way to control that :P

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
The manual TopGun is what it is and Curtis already gave his nod so any other talk would seem to be fishing :roll: .

Good luck either way Curtis, and thanks for the nod!!

Jeff M

exactly, i was just referring to the fact that that a "Top Gun 5-speed chip" is not available. however, i could see how you'd obviously have a problem with someone copying a Top Gun chip (that you have available for sale) only to have them burn that exact same code onto thier own EPROMs and making money off of YOUR work.

btw, i was going to run Jay's TGP/5-speed memcal in my Turbo Cutlass (well, i did for four blocks before my timing chain broke :roll: ). his modified TGP/5-speed memcal is in the ECM in my Cutlass out in the parking lot right now lol. (btw Jay my Cutlass will not make it to the March 19th dyno day so i can send that memcal back to you ASAP). Jay is making me a custom TGP/5-speed chip with BFC as high as possible (~14psi probably), no MPH boost cut, no governor, and i might disable EGR but probably not. i basically want as much control over EVERYTHING myself as possible....like i do on my Turbo Dodge :P i will be using a $25 M&M Racing grainger valve MBC (just like i do on my GTS) with the boost set at around 8-10psi.....however, if i were to use say....some Torco, or a big FMIC, alcohol injection, bigger injectors, an AFPR, maybe a GT28RS....i would not want to deal with overboost shutdown @ 12psi!! :? IOW i want as much fuel as the 2-bar calibration will support!! i would want to milk that grainger valve on the 2-bar calibration for all it's worth before hitting overboost shutdown.

going past 15psi would simply require an adjustable ziener diode and supporting mods (MORE FUEL!), but due to this GEN-2 660 MPFI engine's design what's the point? maybe on a Turbo 3400 with a T3/T4 hybrid.....

Guest TurboSedan
ok so who want's to sell me one for a manual transmission?

buy an old laptop PC with a serial port (if you don't already have one), a Mastach ALDL cable, a few EEPROMs, Pocket Programmer 2, then download the free GMPCM software and have fun blowing up a few regualar VIN 'T' 3.1 MPFI engines with TGP turbo parts bolted onto them....heck 3.1 MPFI engines can be found everywhere :wink:

seriously though, if you want to learn go for it!!!!! there is a DIY community out there....a TON of help can be found on the GMPCM.com forum as well as the 60degreeV6.com forum. i want to get into it sooo bad but i still need to get a PC (i'm a Mac user/PC illiterate :oops: ). heck i still need all the hardware to get started....all i have as of yet is the Mastach ALDL cable for datalogging. hopefully i can afford a laptop PC and PP2 soon and i can start learning how to burn & edit my own EEPROMs.

Yea that’s odd, there were so many manual chips flying around back a while ago. And thanks for seeing clearly the only reasonable point I had about my work being let loose for free, even worse if someone is making money on it :roll: . Even though those I have sold TGP chips to already have a TGP chip/TGP car and are just paying for my changes, I even install the eprom onto a new GM MEMCAL so I paid GM for the MEMCAL/original .bin, that about covers it so they could never yell at me for just giving or selling the .bin to a non-TGP-Owner, but I am not GM so its up to them to think what they want.

JAYS CHIP!?!?, did not you learn when the timing chain broke soon as you ran it :lol: :lol: , just kidding!!! Yes, good to leave in a fuel cut somewhere at the top, shit does happen for damn sure. The MPH cut is at 255 so you must be fast to want that disabled. RPM Governor only if you got some good engine balance and shorter intake runners, and some stronger springs, blah-blah, sure I am not telling you anything new!!!!! EGR is funny, I have had owners freak and not buy my 160 chips for fear the EGR will not work and the car won’t pass emissions, then on the other side guys that think it kills performance, truth is after 140 degrees the EGR is allowed to work, but it takes a few other parameters (like a HOT engine) to have the EGR doing its thing, but only at light cruise, never at idle or open loop/boosted areas. If like Curtis there is no EGR setup then for sure, disable it, but will take more than just sticking the enable temp to max 8) . Grainger valves are cheap and easy, not real safe?, not sure how consistent with varying temps but there is a heavy duty metal body manual boost controller on ebay by some guy named “turbochip1â€Â…seen a week before a cheap plastic one “labeled†as a Turbonetics go for $50, that nuts for that unit. But for sure, have at it and have fun, best of luck, never good to hear when something breaks!!!...and you don’t need no sticking ziener :) .

Also that turbochip1 guy has a VRGFPR that would do some help for your needs, too often people find something bad/cons about something and it dies/no more sales for the manufacturer, and its too bad, there are pros and cons about everything in life, but back to the VRGFPR, it is not a programmable ECM BUT it has its purpose, seen guys set these up to run huge injectors with low fuel rail pressure at idle and cruise and avoid pig rich, stalling and all, then as the manifold load increases so does the setting from the VRGFPR up to whatever you can safely squeeze from the injectors, which is typically around the 85 psi mark. Also like what you mention running more than what the computer can see, instead of the last values being what covers your butt as the boost goes past 15, why not a VRGFPR that WILL increase the fuel delivery in relationship to increase air flow/boost!?!? And no, it won’t adjust timing, but it CAN be a help in the fuel department if you get creative with it. AND NO, I am not trying to promote my VRGFPR for sale, its up to enough to make me happy, and I don’t have any others, its just words on behalf of the design of this tuning device, its had a bad rap it did not deserve…then why did I sell it, I have 2 fuel pumps with a Hobbs switch set at a certain boost level to kick the second Walbro 255 in gear, yeehaaaa…..no not on a TGP though :cry: .

The 3.1 block can be a good foundation, maybe more than most feel, that crazy Ryan Falconer (yea I have said this too many times :roll: ) ran 350 hp at an insane 8,500 rpms and lasted through his race seasons, see no reason 350hp or more at lower rpms would not last, hope to hear you are the first, better hurry, my TSTE is running and only waiting form some break-in-miles and some final fixes (15.1volts from the alternator?!?! :evil: ) before it gets tuned, though tuning takes time.

Jeff M

And sorry lowridincavy to steal your thread :( , what he said about getting into doing the work yourself as once you get one how ever that is, there will always be some tuning to do to match your setup, or the itch to do more 8) .

Jeff M