Lumina Cluster Interchangability??

OldsmoBeast

Okay, heres one for all you people who know more than I do...

I was pretty sure that my 1997 Cutlass Supreme could use a Monte cluster from the same time period with no problems. I haven't tried it, but I threw in the cluster out of a '94 GTP and it fit and worked flawlessly. My question is, would a 1997 Lumina cluster fit and work in my car?

Oh and before I get flamed for wanting to put a Lumi cluster in my Cutty, I also would like to add the fact that I have access (for a cost) to a cluster out of a 1997 Police Lumina.....meaning its digital, calibrated and all cool-ish. I miss the UB3 in my '91, and this is probably the closest thing I can get to a UB3 without doing any wiring on my '97. Plus I find it easier to read a digital speed readout than needles...but anyway....

Does anyone know??!

Thanks!

YK

huh...i know the GP and Cutty dashs are interchangeable, but i don't belive the 1.5gen Lumina/Monte dashs are interchangeable with GP or Cutty dashs.

let's see some pics of this Lumi digi dash anyway!!

I don't have it in my possession... i'm trying to figure out if it'll work before I buy it....but i have seen pics of them on the forum before...i'm sure someone on here has pics... I'll see if I can find any in old posts.

LOL...good point...i wonder if it would be wired the same way though... probably... I guess its worth a shot next time I can get a hold of $100 that i don't spend on my girlfriend...

:roll: :lol:

They will physically fit, but the elctronics of OBD1.s vs 2 is the issue.

I think it works the same way because the 94 GTP cluster worked with no apparent problems when I had it in...

EDIT: wouldn't 1997 be obd 2?

yeah, They are both OBD 2.

I'm with Steve. If it dont work, make it work.

I think I'll go with that... Now I guess I just have to wait until my boss pays me, and hope to God that he gives me enough to buy that cluster and still live my life.

But of course, it would still be nice if anyone knew for sure,

:D

yeah, They are both OBD 2..

the 94 GTP is OBD 1.5....

I think he was referring to the Lumina? ie. my car and the lumi are both OBD2 because they're '97s

It doesnt make a difference whether or not it's OBD2. Thats why you can put the '94 GP cluster in a '97 CS. But as for fitment, it won't be a direct bolt-in, but the shape isn't that far off...also I'd verify the pinouts of both plugs.

It doesnt make a difference whether or not it's OBD2. Thats why you can put the '94 GP cluster in a '97 CS. But as for fitment, it won't be a direct bolt-in, but the shape isn't that far off...also I'd verify the pinouts of both plugs.

where can I get pinouts for the plugs? Factory repair manuals? (which I don't have..)

As for the shape...its actually different?

don't quote me, but the cluster seems taller on the Lumina vs the others. But I havent verified.

Yeah either manuals, mitchell data, ar just cut off the plug if the junkyard is nice to you.

don't quote me, but the cluster seems taller on the Lumina vs the others. But I havent verified.

Yeah either manuals, mitchell data, ar just cut off the plug if the junkyard is nice to you.

If only these j/y's would offer a 'try before you buy' system... :lol: That would be sweet... maybe I could use some 'social engineering' to get the j/y to let me try it out and see if it fits.... not likely...

Cool.....it looks like its similar enough but annoyyingly GM enough that it might not work... Although it could likely be made to fit... Assuming the police cluster is the same, which it likely is...This could prove interesting...

Damn, Brian beat me to it! I was gonna say that the Lumina/Monte cluster is nothing like the Regal/Cutlass/Grand Prix clusters.

The only reason that you can interchange clusters between a Regal, Cutlass, and GP is because GM made the dashboards nearly identical in those 3 models to save money when they were mandated by the government to have dual airbags installed in all cars by model year 1995. The Lumina and Monte were completely new designs and didn't share the same dash structure as the Reeg/Cutty/GP.

The only difference between the 95-96 Regal, 95-97 Cutlass, and 94-96 Grand Prix clusters is the overlay (and the color of the needles.) The clusters are physically and functionally identical. Whether the car was OBD-I or II plays no part in the cluster's function...

Damn, Brian beat me to it! I was gonna say that the Lumina/Monte cluster is nothing like the Regal/Cutlass/Grand Prix clusters.

The only reason that you can interchange clusters between a Regal, Cutlass, and GP is because GM made the dashboards nearly identical in those 3 models to save money when they were mandated by the government to have dual airbags installed in all cars by model year 1995. The Lumina and Monte were completely new designs and didn't share the same dash structure as the Reeg/Cutty/GP.

The only difference between the 95-96 Regal, 95-97 Cutlass, and 94-96 Grand Prix clusters is the overlay (and the color of the needles.) The clusters are physically and functionally identical. Whether the car was OBD-I or II plays no part in the cluster's function...

Arg.... so you're saying it wouldn't work at all? or just not fit?

I'm saying it won't fit. You can get any (electronic) GM cluster to function on basically any GM vehicle that has an electronic cluster. The wires are all the same across the board, so all you'd have to do is switch them around into their proper location in regards to the new cluster.

The "Caprice 9C1" crowd likes to put Z28 clusters in their old cop cars, and they fit with a bit of massaging, so anything's possible. You could try to see if that Lumina cluster will fit in the Cutlass. Ya never know, it may be close enough to where you could do a bit of "engineering" to get it to fit properly.

I think what I'd do with that Lumina 9C3 cluster is take it apart and "surgically remove" the digital speedo and transplant it into a (spare) Cutlass or Grand Prix cluster :wink: .