Need any/all information/vids for HUD

supreme_style21

I've gotta do a stupid speech next week.. friggin college is worse than highschool. Its an informative speech. I know most of the information that I need, but throw up anything and everything you've got with any HUD system available.. history/past/present/any make or model/etc.. and I REALLY would appreciate some nice, high-quality videos of them in action.. any length of time. My digicam takes the absolute worst videos.

Anything you've got, repost or not, throw it up, cause I'll sift through it and use what I need. Much appreciated! Couldn't tell ya which section this is to be in, so I'm sure someone will move it.

The Pace Car was the first W-body car to get a HUD (Heads Up Display) with the Hughes Electronics logo on it. The Delco/Hughes HUD unit was developed using heads-up display technology borrowed from Hughes fighter jets. It projects the digital speedometer and various indicators onto the windshield in the driver's line of sight.

Mmmm...

Oh yeah, HUD consists of a very bright VFD (Vacuum Fluorescent Display) projected onto the windshield via a mirror.

I have a few photos, but no videos.

ive got some vids of me flooring the GTP, and you can see the MPH shoot up in the hud if u want :)

and the actual Display is really small. i was surprised when i took mine apart, less than an inch tall, but displays nicely on the windshield

I have photos on my www. I know, like said above, that the HUD was used on fighter jets first. Green was used because it stood out the best for the eyes.

Maybe first explain what a HUD is, then go to history, then explain in detail what makes it work, and what has changed over the years. End with how the HUD is used today and the possible future of it. Be sure to use lots of pictures!

You can borrow my HUD unit for any pics or whatever you'd like, or even to show in the class, it's not in the car at the moment.

THAT would be perfect... I'm going to pull the unit out of mine as well, so it would be cool to show the 'progress' of the designs.

I have photos on my www. I know, like said above, that the HUD was used on fighter jets first. Green was used because it stood out the best for the eyes.

Maybe first explain what a HUD is, then go to history, then explain in detail what makes it work, and what has changed over the years. End with how the HUD is used today and the possible future of it. Be sure to use lots of pictures!

That path is the one I was planning on. It would be ideal if I could find a video or pictures of the NEWEST generations, like in the new GP's, BMW's, etc.

Guest Anonymous

As far as I know, the w-bodies were the first cars to get the Heads Up Display, and it was only GM's that had it available until BMW introduced the navigation version last year. You may also want to look into Cadillac's NightVision HUD system, that is very impressive.

Basically, as you know, the hus is projected as a small imaged under the dash and through a series of mirrors, is projected onto the windsheild, and its refraction is reduced through a thin plastic film between the glass.

Nissans of the early 90's had an available HUD too.

As far as I know, 1988 Olds Cutlass Pace Car was the very first production car to get HUD.

Guest Anonymous
When did the Corvette get it?

Late 90's...

I think the maxima did have it for a few years around ~91, but it didnt last long. Still, its predomiantly GM's that feautre it.