security light

PJB

I just drove my dad's '97 Cutlass Supreme and everything was fine but he had to go and now the security light on the dash is on.

The car starts right up and drives fine.

What causes that to go on and how do I make it go off? He thinks its something I did.

Does the car have a remote starter?? FYI, the VATS chip on the key is probably on its way out. If the car DOES have Remote start, it could be the VATS Bypass module that is acting up. If you have a different set of keys that work, I would try those and see if it makes a differemce

Does the car have a remote starter?? FYI, the VATS chip on the key is probably on its way out. If the car DOES have Remote start, it could be the VATS Bypass module that is acting up. If you have a different set of keys that work, I would try those and see if it makes a differemce
:werd: Try a different key first before you do anything drastic.

If the VATS system stops responding altogether, the "reader" inside the ignition lock cylinder is either shot, or the wires running to it are broken. If you don't mind "getting your hands dirty" then I'd say tear the column apart and replace the ignition lock cylinder. If you're not that ambitious, CLICK HERE for a simple bypass that can be accomplished without tearing the column apart...

No remote or keyless entry. Ill have to ask him if the light went off again. My mom has the other key.

Its his car so he'll get it fixed right if it needs something done.

My car has been doing this too..... It only does it on certain days but after the cars been started and driven a little bit, the security light comes on. Doesn't cause a problem, doesn't flash...just comes on while I'm driving. It kinda weirds me out, but I kept forgetting to post it up.

YK

That light came on my car once, then never again.. I think it was haunted. :lol:

Try unplugging the battery for a while maybe the computer will reset and it will be fine.

Wipe off the "pellet" that's on the chip is what he means. Use a pencil eraser or some degreaser on a rag. It's most likely not making proper contact inside the lock cylinder. The little "edge" that's on the pellet wears down over time, but it's nothing that a new key won't cure...

Gotcha.... I get it now... just got a bit thrown off at first....I really wanna get another set of keys made for my car... Considering I only have 1 set AND since my door key only turns one way in my doors and REFUSES to open my trunk... I use the keyless remote for everything, but it would be good to have more keys.

I'll eventually get around to it.

And what also sucks ass is that in my 96 regal you have to unlock the door with the remote inlock thing to start the car. So if the battery ever dies in the remote thing ill be screwed.

try wiping the key off
It says that exact same thing in the owner's manual. That was the case when my security light was on. Believe it or not, the owner's manual has useful information. :idea:

try wiping the key off
It says that exact same thing in the owner's manual. That was the case when my security light was on. Believe it or not, the owner's manual has useful information. :idea:

Really? My owners manual says nothing about cleaning the key but it worked for me too.