Ground effects?

wally05

Okay guys, it's been awhile, but I've been extremely busy. I've been working on the cutty and I want to kind of work on the appearance of it. Any reccomendations on ground effects? I have a rust hole I'm having a guy patch (all new sheet metal and all) in front of the left rear wheel well (only rust on the whole stinking car!), but I think I want to stick some skirts over it. I kinda like the razzi effects on this site. How would black painted factory effects look? My 1990 2 dr olds with the ho quad 4 and 5 speed needs some looks to go along with the mechanics. Also, you guys will be happy to know that me and my friend are upgrading the rear brakes finally... bout damn time. haha. I'm kinda on a budget, but I want this car to last awhile, so I might as well work on it.

Korey 8)

If you have the 15" cross-lace wheels, then you must have a Base model! That is an extremely rare car. Even though the HO Q4 was standard on the base and International models, most people orded the optional 3.1. All of the Q4's I've seen so far have been Internationals.....never seen a base model Q4 5-speed before!

I could give my opinion, but you might not like it.... The only ground effects I really like on any car is something done from the factory. I have never seen an aftermarket kit that I liked, they all seem overdone. This is though, only MY opinion.

You Cutlass has an HO Quad?? Does that mean that it is an International? If it isn't, that would be the look/cladding I'd be looking for, but I'm different. (Some call it "special")

You Cutlass has an HO Quad?? Does that mean that it is an International? If it isn't, that would be the look/cladding I'd be looking for, but I'm different. (Some call it "special")

Read what I wrote above. The HO Q4 was standard on both the base model CS and the International (only the 3.1 was available on the SL). Since he doesn't have have the 16" wheels, I would say its a base model.

I agree that the factory ground effects look the best. I would suggest you get a set of International ground effects from a salvage yard. They won't be easy to find as I've been looking for years and never found a set in good condition.

I have all the badges in the trunk (removed by other owner who repainted car black) and I think they just said Cutlass Supreme. I could be wrong though. The crosslace wheels are like the ones you have, right? That was my understanding.

Korey

Yeah "cross lace" is what I have too. The Cutass Supreme has the 15x6 versions while the Cutlass Ciera International got the same wheel in 14x6 size, and the Cutlass Calais got the same style in 14x5.5 size. Since in 1990 the International got the 16" pace car style wheels standard, yours must be a base model.

I think you'd really like the look of the International ground effects on your car. Plus they would be much cheaper than buying the Razzi package.

Awesome, guys, appreciate the EXTREMELY fast replies. Yeah, my car is not an international, base cutlass supreme. I still ahve the factory sticker in my book and every single receipt pertaining to the car. It was originally $18,000 from the dealer. :)

Korey

Also, it would be nice to get exact stats on my build type, but I cannot find them. Might come in handy if I sell my car someday. Oldsmobile could only give me basic trim build stats (base, international, etc.).

Korey

I was thinking more like build numbers, but I will probably have a few questions, when I do, I'll let you know, man. Oh, how much do you guys think the effects will cost from the junkyard?

Korey

Read what I wrote above. The HO Q4 was standard on both the base model CS and the International (only the 3.1 was available on the SL). Since he doesn't have have the 16" wheels, I would say its a base model.

Sorry, you must have posted while I was typing my post. :oops:

I was thinking more like build numbers, but I will probably have a few questions, when I do, I'll let you know, man. Oh, how much do you guys think the effects will cost from the junkyard?

Korey

I got the following info through e-mail from the Oldsmobile Customer Assistance Center:

1990 Cutlass Surpeme:

Overall produced = 10,076

With WN3-Rallye Interior leather wrapped steering wheel = 6,491

With CF5- astroroff electric sliding glass in gray tint = 776

With 1SC-Option pkg. Infosystem driver-digital readout = 6,056

With LD2- engine, 2.3 L4, DOHC Quad 4 MFI = only 1 made.

With WJ7- Trim custom leather i seating areas, leather wrapped steering wheel = 1,154.

Sorry, you must have posted while I was typing my post. :oops:

My bad! :oops:

I agree, the quad 4 is a little raw, but if I get it out onto the highway and up to 3rd gear, it really picks up in the mid 3's range. I like it, and the gas is pretty good. Too bad I've already had to replace the head... geez, but since I've put that much money into it, might as well fix a few more things.

Korey

Heck yeah its definitely worth keeping up!

This brochure has a HO Q4 dyno graph for HP and TQ which you might like. I should scan it sometime. It also has 3.1 and 3300 graphs.

Yeah man, I wouldn't mind seeing that graph. Also, I usually get about 400 to 420 miles to a tank of gas (that's with running it to a notch in my digital display, which I don't like to do. It gets about the same as my old 2.0L 4cyl, 5 speed sunbird (95hp). :)

Korey

haha, holy crap, I could probably get that, but I choose not too. My air filter was crappy for awhile after I bought it, I replaced it and I get better mileage now. Oh, another question (without another thread). Would painting the brake calipers keep them from corroding as fast?

Korey