Cerpentine Belt Change

89Cutlass

I have an 89 olds cutlass 2.8l i heard it was very easy to change something like just pressing down on the tension pully and sliding it off.

can someone tell me exactly how to do this id like to change my belt before it does break. Its never been changed since ive owned the car(2years) dosnt look to heathly either.

THANKS

Yeah, it is a piece of cake... just make sure before you pull it that you have the belt diagram underneath the hood.

All you got to do is take a 3/8" drive rachet, place it into the hole of the tension pulley and pull up to loosen the belt and slip it off any pulley (alternator, A/C, whatever is the easiest). Pull the old belt out, direct the new belt around the pullies the diagram calls for, pull up on the tensioner pulley once again, slide the belt on the last pulley, and slowly lower the tensioner pulley to put pressure on the new belt. Crank the engine over a couple of times, and check to see if the belt is not on halfway, etc. Start cat... you should be fine.

- RedFox340

Guest Anonymous

The tensioner pulley is just below the power steering pump. I use a 3/8" breaker bar to turn it. Put the breaker bar in the square hole on the pulley with the handle going to the front of the car. Pull up to relieve tension and you can pull the belt off. When you put the new belt on, route it around everything and save the alternator for last. Pull up on the tensioner until you can get the belt back on the alt. That's it.

Have any of you had to have 2 people to change it?? Maybe I was trying to put it on wrong, but had to have my gf help me route it over the alternator. Not fun, hope you have better luck than me... he's right though, route it over the alternator last.

on my 90 cs i also had to remove a cover on the front top of the belt. there was a bolt in the side and two on the top holding this cover in place. piece of cake except for these long screws holding this guard in place.

Monty