2.8's power SUCKS!

88Regal Limited

HI, i'm just wondering WHY MY FRIGGIN 2.8 IS SO FRIGGIN SLOW!!!

As you know, its in the 88 regal, 4speed auto. This thing does like a 0-60 in what...13seconds? Its a dog when it's cold and is way too slow!

Is this normal? I'm just checkin.

130 horsepower.

3300 pounds.

Do the math.

:werd:

When Gen-2's get old and high mileage, if NOT maintained become flat out dogs. They are tolerable with low mileage/ well maintained. My guess is your flat tappet camshaft is worn down due to age and your compression is less than what it should be.

Open the exhaust, put in 1.6 ratio rockers from crane or whoever.

ok, the only money i would invest into that engine?

filling the throttle body full of fine sand. turn it on and listen for good, fun, entertaining noises.

filling the throttle body full of fine sand. turn it on and listen for good, fun, entertaining noises.

It'd probably still run for another 100 miles.

It'd probably still run for another 100 miles.

:lol: :lol:

I'd like to do that to another particular engine, thats for sure.

2.8's not that bad as long as you don't need to pass anyone.

There are plenty of cars that are significantly slower, like a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-X with 2.0L SOHC or a 1980 Dodge St. Regis with 360 V8.

My 88' did 0-60 in 11.5 seconds (exactly on the 1/8th mile) and 17.999 was the best I ever did in the quarter (I was so happy to get into the "17s":lol2:). That was with about 280,000km on the original engine/trans. Not too far off from a 3.1. My 3100 feels like it can destroy it though!

Top speed reached of 177km/k (little over 110mph I beleive)

I do miss the SOUND of the 2.8, very cool sounding engine IMO, probably cause I had to nearly redline the sucker every time to get her moving! :lol:

my old 3.1 would smack down the 2.8 I had, but the 2.8 definetly had a different feel to it. Almost like it wasnt working that hard. Off the line it was slower, but midrange felt pretty good. I want a (healthy) gen-2 3.1 again though. I tried so hard to revive the 3.1 in my sister's '93 Cutlass, but that thing is just way too beat-up.