homebuilt spoiler?

ThunderBat

long time since I dropped in but I thought I'd bounce an idea off you guys. I've been on the hunt for a new rear spoiler for my 01 Grand Prix GT...there are only about 4 choices out there. The units from SLP, PFYC and MSD (F1 style) are all pretty much cousins. Then there is the GM unit that came on the 03 Special Edition, which is kind of an overgrown Grand Am piece. I would prefer a pedestal style wing to get rid of the factory unit's problem of holding water underneath. There is a two leg wing from Wings West but I think I like that one least of all...are there any good books out there on doing home fiberglass work. Some of that foam and fabric stuff I've seen done on "Monster Garage" doesnt look all that tough to do. (but then pros always make it look easy)...I'd love to grab a spoiler for a 97-02 Trans Am and modify it to fit my decklid...or just fabricate a nice rear slanted wing...any thoughts?

As far as fabbing up one materials alone would probably cost $$$ for all the fibreglass. It would take a long time and you'd have to make some sort of mold so it doesn't look like crap. I wouldn't even know where to start with that. I think a T/A spoiler might be a way to go.

I suppose I'm going to wind up just giving in to the will of the aftermarket...the new SD spoiler is slowly growing on me. After looking at some other pics, it does closely resemble the spoiler that was on the base and Formula Firebirds. Mecham performance offered an add-on for that factory unit and that looks even more like the SD spoiler for the GP...I think I will give painting it a whirl though...some 300, a little primer and then the glossy black...after that its a bolt-on...I would like to add some rubber washers in between so the water will drain away.

I personally like the SLP generation 1 spoilers...similiar to stock, but a more aggressive look! Im thinking of going that route myself. My concern is if the aftermarket spoiler will slide right into the stock holes in the trunk :?

its been awhile since i've seen you here! i've been wondering where you ran off to. good to see you back, as for hte spoilers, is the SLP one like the one thats on the Daytona 500 Edition Grand Prix? if not, i'd look for that one.

I personally like the SLP generation 1 spoilers...similiar to stock, but a more aggressive look! Im thinking of going that route myself. My concern is if the aftermarket spoiler will slide right into the stock holes in the trunk :?

all three similar spoilers (SLP, F1 and SD) fit into the stock decklid holes...if you really like the SLP unit then you need to check out the SD spoiler. I also looked at the "universal bomber wing" from carbon creations...I think I'm gonna do a wood mock up this weekend just to get an idea of scale...hopefully it will look better than the "lumber yard special" pictured earllier ( that shit was funny! LMAO!)