STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! CUTLASS

89BuickRegalGS

The other day cruising down the main strip of my college town, I notice a car with cutlass badging that obviously was not a cutlass. It looked like an Chevy Malibu, but the rear lights were different, and teh badging that said cutlass was something i had never seen before. Was this a good rebadge of a car? or was it possibly an out of market car that was sold overseas????

Or beter yet, the newest cutlass WERE malibu's. Too small for me. Everyone arroudn town has them here in richmond. Its so wweird, because everyone I have talked to thought it was just like my car, you know, since the same name and stuff. If anything, wouldnt it be more like a Ciera?

Jon

Thats EXACTLY right. Because I am PRETTY sure that cieras were droped in 96, or that was their last year (i know there are some, almost bought one when looking for a car, luckily i got my 96 CS). Cutlass SUpremes were droped after 97. Dont know when the others came out, but thats exactly right

jon

where the fuck have I been? I have never seen one before, didn't know the y exsisted, never seen them in car magazines or dealerships...what the fuck

it looked like the first model year of teh malibu i guess, it was dirty and had that new/old look.

damn, have i been driving with my eyes closed???

The Malibu IS a late-model N-body Cutlass, with a few cosmetic changes. The Malibu logo is an oval which replaces the Olds oval.

In the 70s and early 80s, the Cutlass was one of the best-selling cars in the US. Then Olds started putting the Cutlass name on many different cars. Maybe they thought the Cutlass name alone would sell anything. In 1988 I think they had the final G-body RWD Cutlass Supreme Classic, the new W-body Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Ciera, or Cutlass Calais all at the same time. Way too confusing for the typical non-motorhead new Olds buyer. This confusion probably helped kill Oldsmobile's best-selling car and the division.