Gear Shift Indicator Part...

1990lumina

Okay guys. I posted a few months ago on this.

I broke the indicator plastic that shows you what gear you are in.

So today, after breaking more and more and getting pised off with this thing jamming and making it hard to shift into drive I took it out so now I have a question.

Since my city isn't to big...and I already know there isn't any 2dr Luminas in the boneyard..with the gear shift indicaotr pastic surround work in my car if I took it out of a Grand Prix or something similar from the boneyard?

If not, do you think GM would have it, or even be able to order it in for me with charging $50 CAN for it? Or would I have better luck getting the new part from gmpartsdirect.com or whatever that site is?

These are the pics of the plastic that I removed 10 mins ago. I'm thinking that they aren't the same between Luminas and Grand Prixs or anything...but since there aren't any Lumina's in the boneyard with the floor shift I was just wondering.

The picsd are quite large, and have fairly good detail so you can see where it's broken and grinding on other shit and what not..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/1990lumina/gear2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/1990lumina/gear1.jpg

Note that on both sides there is about an inch that didn't scan since my flatbed scanner isn't long enough lol..

I couldn't believe how much easier it is to shift with out that piece of shit plastic thing stuck in there. If I can't find a good deal on a new one that won't bind in the slides then I might just leave it out!

Thanks!!

- Jeff L.

Just post something in the For Sale/Wanted section and see if anyone else has one or could grab one for you.. :shrug: it's not that big of a deal, and definetly not worth GMs price if they do stock it.

Oh yeah.. I should have mentioned that..It has the 4speed tranny..so I guess it wouldn't work..but thanks for the offer GP1138.

Yeha Im ight post something in the ForSale/Wanted section. I just don't want to hassle anyone since I'd have to convert Canadian to American funds and arrange for shipping and all that good stuff..but if I have to I will

- Jeff L.

No it wouldn't. The 4 speed tranny will have PRND321, the 3 speed will have PRND21. It is a different part.

However, personally, if it cost more than like ten bucks, I'd leave it alone. It clicks when you pull it back, what do you need an indicator for. My indicator is one off on my Euro (when your in D it reads N), but I don't care 'cause I don't even look at it. Thats just my opinion though. I understand you wanting to replace it, but really I wouldn't worry about it.

Shawn

Well, I think you are right Shawn. It isn't really replacing it for me, but most for other ppl that might drive my car and not know what gear they are in. I'm just used to knowing where each gear is. To put it in drive I just pull it down with out clicking in the button and it won't go any further then Drive.

Anyway..I'll go around to some U-Pull-It yards one day when it is warmer. Right now shifting gears is so smooth I'm thinking of not replacing the part, but if I find a deal I will.

The only reason personally I'd replace it is to hide the large hole where the piece of plastic usually covers.

Just for future reference..or at least on a Canadian car it goes: PRN"OD"D21

Thanks for all the help guys!

I could check some j/y's around my place too when it gets warmer. It shouldn't cost that much to send from winnipeg to saskatoon. I can just mail it.

I could check some j/y's around my place too when it gets warmer. It shouldn't cost that much to send from winnipeg to saskatoon. I can just mail it.

Well, I'll check around here first, but thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it as you say when it gets warmer

- Jeff L.