Clicking Noises

buckethead

Ok, so i've noticed for the past week or so i'm getting a strange clicking noise from my front left wheel. Kinda sounds like baseball card in bicycle spokes. I already checked my tire for any rocks, nails, etc. that may be hitting the pavement but found nothing. It's not very loud, and i can't feel it at all in the steering or anywhere else. The last thing i had done on my car was my brakes, but that was a month ago, and i didn't notice any noises imediately after. Any ideas on what might cause this?

If it makes the clicking sound when you're taking a turn, then it's most definitely your CV joint. Luckily you can pick up a whole axle assembly from the boneyard for cheap (and if you don't feel like installing it yourself, it doesn't cost much to have it installed by a shop...)

Once the "do you have wire wheel covers" question is answered, we can start troubleshooting... I have had 2 sets of those on different cars... EVERY ONE MADE TICKING NOISES!! IT WAS FUCING ANNOYING! This is why I roll with the black steelies with chrome lug-nuts on the 'bonne... less annoying than the constant ticking...

Mike

The clicking sound of a bad CV joint is unmistakable if you have the "ear" for it. I've actually had 2 old cars with wire hubcaps and know the sound they make also, and it's nothing like the noise a bad CV joint makes :D ...

If it makes the clicking sound when you're taking a turn, then it's most definitely your CV joint. Luckily you can pick up a whole axle assembly from the boneyard for cheap (and if you don't feel like installing it yourself, it doesn't cost much to have it installed by a shop...)

Why would you want a junkyard part like this installed?

Go to NAPA, drop $50 and throw it in. You'll pry want to put a new seal in too.

What you guys are talking about is a CV joint, but we still don't know if it only happens when he's turning... he never said... also, we don't know if he has wire wheel covers... I wouldn't want him to read the thread and since everybody's saying CV joints, go replace half-shafts and it still not be solved. Must ask questions before assuming.

Mike

It's definetely not the CV joint... had that go bad on my last car and it is unmistakable. I do have the wire wheel hubcaps though, so that may be it. Damn i wish i had the money to get a new set of wheels...

may just take them off and rock the steelies untill then... rollin' on 14" steelies, that's gangsta! :lol: :lol: