Speedometer? VSS?

zerophlux

My speedo is broken. I think. When riding alongside a friend at 55mph, the speedo reads approximately 35mph. The tire size is stock, so thats out. I'm not sure if the speedo is broken, or the VSS. Please help.

Thanks,

Skylor Williams

it'd help to know what you drive...

Most W-bodys before '96 or '97 i believe had problems with the VSS. I definately think that'd be the place to start.

Well, thanks for all the input. I think I will be starting with the VSS, being that I can get it for $5 at the local U-Pull-It. They want $17 for the cluster, so I think that I might even try 2 or 3 VSS's since apparently they are known to have problems (and this U-Pull-It has a 30-day money-back garauntee). So basically I can try everything that would causing the problem, and only buy 1 part. Neato :D . Thanks.

If it's not the VSS, I think it's more likely to be the ECM than the cluster.

Based on my personal experience, ECM is probably most likely of all, especially if this car uses a p/n 1227727 ECM.

It's funny how I posted this same problem and got almost no responses :?

Except mine is the opposite, 55 shows up as 80. Oh yeah, and all kinds of lights, check gauges, fuel, e-brake.

I already put in a new computer and it didn't fix the problem. Will have to try the other suggestions.

Id expect the cluster to be bad in yours. A VSS cant read faster, only slower then normal.

This could be from a bad gap between the Sensor and the reluctor wheel. Chipped Teeth on the reluctor wheel. Bad magnetic pickup. All sorts of fun stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm having kinda the same problem. My speedo just don't work, period. I upgraded to the z/euro cluster and wired it all up correctly but nothing. When I first got the car it had the same problem. The VSS wire got snipped. When I start up the car the speedo moves with all the guages so I know its wored right, I just dont feel like climbing underneath my car in like 1' of snow to check if my wire broke again. This time around imma solder it. I jsut hope that's the problem :)