Where is the PCV Valve On a Lumina 1992 3.1L

frank358fr

Hi all,

I want to change my PCV Valve on my Lumina 1992 3.1L. But I dont know where is located. Someone know where is the PCV Valve??

Thanks Frank

It is under the upper intake, towards the rear. Unless you have extrememly small and strong hands, you're going to have to remove/disconect the intake hose, throttle body, EGR and intake plenum to replace it.

PCVlocation.jpg

It's down in the general area below the red arrow. It's attached to the bottom of the intake plenum via an s shaped hose, which is not pictured.

that thing is a pain in the ass to change. I did it when I replaced my plugs/wires when I rolled the engine forward. I tried without moving the engine and it is possible, but plan on being there for awhile.

Wow, thanks for the comment about small/strong hands. Yes, I admit it was a huge, huge PITA to change entirely by hand without any dissassembly of the engine. Somehow I managed to do it, but it involved a lot of swearing, cursing, and even small amount of vaseline if I remember correctly.

If you remove the alternator, the access is significantly better. Another way of gaining better access is to do the 'rock engine forward' thing as you would if changing the rear spark plugs. If you can change the rear plugs, the PCV should be a snap comparatively speaking.

Any reason to suspect problems with your PCV? I pulled mine at approx. 65k miles on a 1992, same engine and everything and it was perfectly clean and functional. In other words, I wasted a lot of time for nothing :? Seriously though, if you use a decent motor oil that doesn't sludge, you should never encounter PCV trouble with this engine.

and even small amount of vaseline if I remember correctly.

Uhhh, vaseline? :nono: :leaving:

Yeah, to get the PCV valve to actually fit and slide into the PCV hose end. A little lubricant came in handy, and I'm not a huge fan of having used motor oil on my hands.