REAR window tinting

supreme_style21

Who's got pointers for this bastard? I've read about several techniques for preforming the tint before applying it, but none have been too descriptive. I can throw it on almost any window, but the extreme compound curves on that rear window REALLY tests my already-low patience level...

I will only do one piece on the rear. Who's got the technique?

:werd: you already said you have low patience, and that in itself tells me that you ougt to take it to a tint shop, unless your really willing to put your time into this is will probably never look right.

Damn, I do have the patience and the one and only time I tinted my own windows (87 Grand Am) I took one look at the back window and said "fuck it!" It takes a ton of patience (and a bunch of cursing) just to get all the side windows done right! I remember my parents had an 87 Calais at the same time as I had my GA (which had tinted windows) and their back window's film had 5 overlapping (horizontal) pieces :shock: .

I've got (most) side windows down to nothing.

I can take the time to do it, I just want to make it easier.. if I could get it preshrunk somewhat, it would be a world of help.

Machines don't do it at the tintshops.. a human being does... and if this human can do it, there is a certain technique they have to help the process.

The cheapest price I've found is $175 for the rear. I'm not paying someone to do something I could do.

a shop will prolly get it right the first try, remember your defroster lines can get pealed off.

I know I've done it before.

I know its a task... I don't need people to keep telling me that. I know there are many out there... I've heard shrinking with talcum powder, wet/dry methods... I just don't know the specifics of them. If I can see what exactly is involved, I can make my decision from there.

I usually can get the job done when it comes to doing something on a car... but when I tried tinting the back window on my 88 Grand Prix coupe I said fuck it! $230 taxes in got my whole car done professionally, and it looked awsome..

I read someplace that they place the tint down on the outside of the rear window, using some soapy water solution to keep it down, then heat-shrink it with a heat gun and cut it to size, all while it's outside.

The cheapest price I've found is $175 for the rear.

I got my whole car done for $160. 20% on the rear windows and 35% on the front.

Yeah I don't live there.

I read someplace that they place the tint down on the outside of the rear window, using some soapy water solution to keep it down, then heat-shrink it with a heat gun and cut it to size, all while it's outside.

Yeah thats just what I'm looking for.. there was a way you could do it dry and a method for doing it wet.. I just have to find the exacts now.

I think it's better to do it wet. That way it's less likely to move around on you. Also less likely to burn or crinkle.

What I don't know, is how you handle such a large sheet without it accidentally sticking to itself, sticking to the carpet on the rear deck, crinking, getting wound around your arms, etc.

I have a hard enough time dealing with packing tape!

lol I do too... I've got a buddy that'll help me out. I'd probably pull the rear deck just because its all full of those dusty fuzzies that'll get all over the tint in no time.

Did my rear in 1 piece. Wasn't hard at all really. Layed on the outside of rear window and cut it oversized by about 1" all around. Pulled 3rd brake light out.....Sprayed the window down put the tint in, if your careful if won't get full of fuzzies or nuttin. Slap it in slide it in place and push all the water out with a credit card or skweeegeee. I never used a heat gun. I don't follow the reasoning behind that method.

Did my rear in 1 piece. Wasn't hard at all really. Layed on the outside of rear window and cut it oversized by about 1" all around. Pulled 3rd brake light out.....Sprayed the window down put the tint in, if your careful if won't get full of fuzzies or nuttin. Slap it in slide it in place and push all the water out with a credit card or skweeegeee. I never used a heat gun. I don't follow the reasoning behind that method.

I live for the heat gun... seems to save me an insane amount of time.

You didn't have any problems with the large curve? I've done a few in the past the way you did, and I couldn't get the bubbles along the edges to stay out.. again, that was when I first started tinting, I've learned a lot since then, so maybe it'll be better this time.

How'd you get around the dot matrix?

After i did it i just left the windows up and had it out in the sun all day. All the bubbles that didnt work it's way out, did after that.

However make sure you cut out where the 3rd brake light goes. Otherwise if your state is like mine (NY) they don't like that at all when you cover it.

• 7 years later...
Who's got pointers for this bastard? I've read about several techniques for preforming the tint before applying it, but none have been too descriptive. I can throw it on almost any window, but the extreme compound curves on that rear window REALLY tests my already-low patience level...

I will only do one piece on the rear. Who's got the technique?

Been installing film for 27 years, I won't even attempt that back window again. It's not worth the agggggrrrrriiiiivvaaatttttiooonnnn. And I am as good as the best. less that window.(mid 90's 4dr supreme). Good luck