Weight lightening

chadz34

Well, lets see, that block is iron and weights over 110 lbs dry. Those DOHC heads are massive and probably wiegh 30+lbs a piece, even though they are aluminum. Auto tranny is over 140lbs, I think. So, if you take the motor and tranny out, you'd be getting rid of over 500lbs. The seats are pretty heavy too, like 20-30lbs a piece. Take all the interior out and there's another 200-300lbs. Doors.....very heavy, dont need them either

Well, lets see, that block is iron and weights over 110 lbs dry. Those DOHC heads are massive and probably wiegh 30+lbs a piece, even though they are aluminum. Auto tranny is over 140lbs, I think. So, if you take the motor and tranny out, you'd be getting rid of over 500lbs. The seats are pretty heavy too, like 20-30lbs a piece. Take all the interior out and there's another 200-300lbs. Doors.....very heavy, dont need them either

I need to find that link where they completely gutted out a car, and even chopped the roof off just to make it run faster in the quater.

In all seriousness, if you want it to appear stock looking inside and out, but much lighter, your car could go on an aluminum diet. As for the interior, you can get rid of all the insulation and extraneous weight, but leave the panels so it isn't dumb looking. Hell, you could completely fiberglass your interior if you wanted to. Could save yourself a few pounds there.

I need to find that link where they completely gutted out a car, and even chopped the roof off just to make it run faster in the quater.

That poor Sentra.. :lol: I remember reading about that long ago.

Wasn't it in motor trend or some mag?

no no no...dont worry about that weight junk, just put a better motor in.. i know my 3.4 would be a dog with four people in it, i was embarressing..the l67 has no clue people are riding along...just my opinion..dont have to do the motor, but if the car needs to be gutted to go faster its just as lame as the ricers out there...what ever happend to making a car fast

yeah, it was in something published. There was a similar thing on TV. They did the same kinda thing to a civic or something, got it in the 14s w/o touching the motor. They finally lost aerodynamics and it had a hard time getting over like 80 or something, I think. Pretty funny though

That poor Sentra.. :lol: I remember reading about that long ago.

Wasn't it in motor trend or some mag?

Holy shit I remeber that! It was probably Sport Compact.

Sawzall. Just start cutting stuff off. The entire ass end behind the axle is wasted space. The doors are really heavy too. Take them off. Jeeps don't need them, you don't either.

Sawzall. Just start cutting stuff off. The entire ass end behind the axle is wasted space. The doors are really heavy too. Take them off. Jeeps don't need them, you don't either.

I found a way to get rid of 22 Lbs....

Special K :lol:

:lol2:

Just reducing my portion sizes, I was able to lose 30 lbs!

Losing it from around my belly sure beats taking out something like the A/C. It gets pretty damn hot around here.

As a general rule, taking away rotationg/recripicating mass is the way to go... Light wheels, drag radials, lighter rotors, flywheel, underdrive pullys (most of the gain from underdrive pullys actually comes from the lighter weight pullys as there is not much to be gained by under-driving accesories, especially if you don't want to sacrifice usability/drivability), etc.

That being said, the rear seat, spare tire, carpet (a PITA if you're just wanting to go to the strip for a Sat night), You can even go as far as emptying your windshield washer fluid container (one gallon is, what, 10lbs?). The ABSOLUTE biggest thing you can do as far as non-rotating mass is the fuel... don't go with a full tank (but be sure you're above 1/4 though, or you'll wear on your fuel pump)... go with 10 gallons less fuel... equals, what... 90lbs? And that's weight NOT on the drive wheels too...

Mike

!A/C, !sway bars, !washer reservoir, !jack/spare, !padding behind carpet, !trunk carpet, !power windows, !power locks.....how far do you want to go?

Taking weight out of the car is not the "ricer" thing to do. Removing all but the drivers seat, all the carpet, the console, and the dash is the ricer thing to do. The car with the biggest engine doesn't always win....it's usually the car with the best combination.

- Justin

i know my 3.4 would be a dog with four people in it, i was embarressing...

:werd:

for sure take out the spare tire in the trunk and if you get really into it take out the rear seats and mabe even the passenger seat. me personally, i want a car that is somewhat "luxury". i'm not going to take away ammenities for speed. i want to have all the options that i currently have but also build my car up some for speed...well one of these days that is. :wink:

the cereal or the drug? or both?

i lost .05 seconds by taking my passanger seat out

i lost .4 secodns by pulling my backseat, spare tire and system out.

i lost .10 seconds from running the gas really low.. less then a quarter tank

i guess if you are really serious about lightening you can pull your AC. replace body parts with light weight materials. pull the dash and verious carpets