Diagnose this noise...

gmrulz4u

Lately my 89 Cutty has been making a high-pitched "squeeeeky" noise...not really noticable inside the car with the windows UP, but my best clue as to what it might be is this: since I have my heat on almost all the time due to it being winter, if I switch the vent controls from, lets say, windshield defrost to lower floor, as it is making the transition, you can really hear the SQUEEEEEKING inside the car, just temporarily until it's completely switched.

At first I thought it only had something to do with the HVAC, since at first I thought it was only making the noise when it was turned ON, but I can swear it's doing it even with the heater and everything turned OFF.

It almost sounds like the fan pulley is really dried-up and needs to be greased or lubricated or something, but I'm just talking out of my ass right now because I have no REAL idea...

Anyone know??

THANKS!:)

If you are switching from like a defrost to vents I find my car will make less sound because the a/c compressor isn't being used when turned to vents. Maybe the compressor is on the way out? I doubt it though.

I think the part that changes where the air goes is run by a vacuum, which make by leaking and causing a whistling sound..but I don't know why it would be more apparent during switching from defrost to vents.

Free bump if you gert anytihng outta this post

- Jeff L.