5 times to get a good paint job

dohc v6

so i brought my car to the paint place and got an estimate and it was decent 1700. so the week after that it was being painted. the cost for doing the paint job after wards was 4000 becuase of how much trashy paint there was. but i only had to pay 1700. after i got it back the paint was horriable. it was sprayed over the old paint. so after a lot of talking i got a part time job there and my car is going in next week. i am working with the guy the painter we are going to sand down the hole car base coat it and clear it with the best. i am getting my under hood painted my door jams painted, all rain tracks and lots of little things. so i have a question do you think there is anything else todo before i get it painted. and hoe do you get the moldings off the the window fits into at the top off the door mine are chipping and i want to have those repainted.

Let's not make fun of other peoples' Engrish!

English just might be a 2nd (or 3rd) language for some people.

It sounds like paint is one of the most expensive things you can do to a car. A w-body with bad paint might as well have a salvage title on it.

It sounds like paint is one of the most expensive things you can do to a car. A w-body with bad paint might as well have a salvage title on it.

:werd:

That's one of the main reasons I got rid of my 1988 GP!

A w-body with bad paint might as well have a salvage title on it.

So almost all of our cars should have salvage titles? :lol:

Yea I never posted this but I got some huge chips on the front left and right of my car :evil: Came out from work and it was like that.

A w-body with bad paint might as well have a salvage title on it.

Or one of these on the trunklid....

lightedlogodarkSm.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glock

:think:

Glock

i was writting fast before. so i talked to the painter and he said it was either sealer bleeding thru or the body filler. so he said that i need a whole new paint job. i am not paying for it though. my car is not some lumina on the side of the road. not to brag or anything but i probably have 10,000 dollars invested in it and my paint can look like poop. but when i take it back there i am going to take everything off so it is the best paint ever.

no they did a alright job. macco does not use dupont paint.

In Canada they do. It sure doesnt make their shitty work any better.

I have done better with a spray bomb.

I'll say this for the 430432923478th time: Maaco (in the US anyway), does a great job IF YOU PREP YOUR CAR YOURSELF. If you take it in without doing anything, they'll tape the windows and paint right over the old stuff. Stop bitching when you get a car back from Maaco that looks like shit because you were a lazy ass and didn't take the time to prep it properly.

Without proper preperation, It does not matter

what kind of paint you use.

As far as price, My SE had 3 spots that needed

Paint work-Hood, Rear Bumper and Aero Package

on one side

One shop wanted $1800, another place was only

asking $650. I was very happy with the $650 job.

i was writting fast before. so i talked to the painter and he said it was either sealer bleeding thru or the body filler. so he said that i need a whole new paint job. i am not paying for it though. my car is not some lumina on the side of the road. not to brag or anything but i probably have 10,000 dollars invested in it and my paint can look like poop. but when i take it back there i am going to take everything off so it is the best paint ever.

$10,000 invested? post pics please

I'll say this for the 430432923478th time: Maaco (in the US anyway), does a great job IF YOU PREP YOUR CAR YOURSELF. If you take it in without doing anything, they'll tape the windows and paint right over the old stuff. Stop bitching when you get a car back from Maaco that looks like shit because you were a lazy ass and didn't take the time to prep it properly.

Hey you seem to know about Maaco paint jobs. Do they do a clearcoat after paint??

I ask cuz i wanted to have my dads truck painted for x-mas next year and i was planning on prepping it myself cuz i know they dont do that part. But if they dont clearcoat i would be pissed that my new paint wasn't protected.

• 5 years later...

Probably some type of degreaser/wax/dust remover as well. Of course if you're driving the car there it's pretty impossible to do and still have a clean car when you arrive. My Z34 had a Maaco job before I bought it, it sucked so much, all kinds of peel, poor masking job (though they did take the time to mask every Z34 decal with a knife) and the red was a lousy shade IMO. Held up well though