E-test questions

loominaz34

Hey all, my car failed emissions big.

Here in illinois, they only test co and Hydrocarbons. I passed CO no problem, I was allowed a 15 and I got a 4.8. I failed miserably on the HC, getting a 1.88 when I was allowed a .8. I was wondering what i could do to lower emissions as cheaply as possible. I have a spare EGR sitting around the house. Will that help with HC? I pulled a code 35 which is because my idle is real low, (around 550 in gear or out when hot) this is correlated by my high HC rating but that's the only code I pulled.

Thanks in advance.

they make some stuff called "GUARNTEED TO PASS" that you put in your gas tank with a full tank of gas...i'd try some of that for starters...also, how old are the plugs, wires, air filter!?...a tune-up should help out too...

Unplug ECM fuse. Put it back in after a couple secs. Start car and put in drive right away. Idle for 5-7mins. Shut down. Restart and put it in drive and idle it for 5-7mins then shut down. The idle should be learned

- Jeff L.

I did the idle relearn process tow different ways and it's the same.

It seems like the engine is flooding itself. I realized that at WOT the car is strong all the time while at normal throttle conditions it will stutter and hesitate. i found out today that the O2 sensor is not used above 75% throttle, the exhaust smells like unburned gas and my HC is more than double what it should be. i'm getting a low idle code but not a rich running code, could the O2 sensor be what's wrong?

I am an emissions inspector so I may be able to help. if you failed on hydro carbons thats unburnt gas, replacing the EGR with a 'NEW' unit may help, some tech's at work service the EGR system though I'm not sure what all that entails. I would buy a new o2 and see what that does for your idle, I think thats your problem because the machine sniffs twice once at speed and than again at idle I bet you failed on idle and thats related to the o2 NGK o2's are good and cheap

most people dont know theyre supposed to be changed every 60,000miles. if anything else I'd say a motovac service at a service garage, dont do the 'doityourself' bottle stuff its not half as strong for gettin out the carbon all thru the engine. anyways to me that sounds like your problem. dont throw ANY "guaranteed to pass" crap in your car if you like your ride very much

it gums up the insides.

dont throw ANY "guaranteed to pass" crap in your car if you like your ride very much

it gums up the insides.

:bs: ...that stuff won't hurt anything...its alcohol...i've dumped that in plenty of carz and never had any problems... :roll:

HC means ignition problem. You're not burning gas well enough. We're talking about E-Check heavily in my Engine Performance class.. here's some stuff to try.

How long do you drive before you go to the E-Check station? Recommend you drive about 20 miles or more to make sure everything is warmed up. Your catalytic convertor isn't efficient until it's warm.

Also, if Hydrocarbons are a problem, check your "spark stuff" as my teacher says. Plugs, wires, DIS, etc. And no, that "guaranteed to pass" stuff isn't really harmful if you don't use it too often. The alcohol isn't really wonderful for your engine, but if you don't use it that often, it won't really hurt anything.

Scan that graph in and we'll take a look at it.

its a small world i also work at an emission place for three years and in illinois..the one in volo if you want to visit and of course know what you need. hydrocarbons is basically your unburned fuel, it could be an ignition problem but anything that can cause unburned fuel to go out your exhaust...such as, you said you think its flooding, well when a car is running rich it has plenty of fuel to burn and has plently of left over fuel, aka hydrocarbons...also cuz when there are problems with the combustion process like the ignition miss fireing....if its not then prolly running rich, or the erg is sticking....do you have problems starting problems? if so check the tps and the fuel pressure regulator...most likey if you find why its idling weird first and that should help....the guareteed to pass shit is just basically isopropelene, naphthalene, alkalamine and polyether, all things that help as a catylist and help burn your fuel better...this stuff works if your close, doesnt if you have problems with the car running...and usually that stuff helps more for the carbon monoxide...any who, start there and let me know if you dont get it to pass, ive seen alot of cars in three years and know all the tricks

I have no idea what portion of the emissions test this is supposed to affect, but I have heard that changing your oil then immediately getting an emissions test can help you pass.

Maybe someone who has experience in this area could comment on whether this would be effective or not.

anything I say is IMO of course, including not to put anything other than gasoline into your gasoline engine.

if you want to pour alcohol and whatever else into that car thats up to you

alcohol burns much much hotter than gasoline,(yes even in diluted form) which your engine isnt designed for neither are any of your sensors remember that as you pour it in. also if the dealer could figure a way to do a carbon cleaning for half the cash they would but they know they have to fix what they sell notice you dont see it on theyre shelves? as for the companies who do sell it good luck suing them when your using it in a car which obviously isnt running right in the first place. just somthing to think about IMO

changing oil helps alot with the northstar engines, somthing about the clearenses...not a clue but i guess gas gets in the oil so changing it helps, so this gm mechanic says, thats the only time ive seen changing the oil working was with the northstars..but your not going to pass with the car running like crap

So after two days of searching I've come to the conclusion that my mom threw out the graphs the emissions place gave me.

Anyway... I noticed a little white smoke puffing at idle yesterday because it was warm enough for me to know it wasn't steam. To me this says dirty injectors. I'm going to throw some fuel system cleaner in it and see if that helps. Anybody have a favorite they want to suggest?

anything I say is IMO of course, including not to put anything other than gasoline into your gasoline engine.

alcohol burns much much hotter than gasoline,(yes even in diluted form) which your engine isnt designed for neither are any of your sensors remember that as you pour it in. also if the dealer could figure a way to do a carbon cleaning for half the cash they would but they know they have to fix what they sell notice you dont see it on theyre shelves? as for the companies who do sell it good luck suing them when your using it in a car which obviously isnt running right in the first place. just somthing to think about IMO

I'm gonna have to throw the :bs: too. Ever hear of Gasohol? ITs a mix of gas and alcohol. It doesn't hurt your engine.

Id say do a nice seafoam treatment, replace the O2 sensor, and put some 93 in it and try again. Id bet it will pass.

I'm gonna have to throw the :bs: too. Ever hear of Gasohol? ITs a mix of gas and alcohol. It doesn't hurt your engine.

Id say do a nice seafoam treatment, replace the O2 sensor, and put some 93 in it and try again. Id bet it will pass.

:werd:

Did the seafoam after changing my moms oil. That was awesome. :shock: :lol: it didn't help idle really but it made the cap STOP smoking at idle, which says good thigs. I had to drive windows down for about a block because my mom kept the doors open while i put it in the booster line. My mom says we're going to get a ticket for it. :roll: Now this thursday (payday) I'm'a do that O2 sensor, oil change and rock the emissions place.