new 2 board with 2 issues

streetdreams

This 88 GP SE coupe has been in the family since like 96, now I had it for the last year but it sat with electrical problems for most of it, till I put in the new starter,batt and J.Y alt. than it ran great for a month before I got a heap of tickets and lost my license for not payin'em now I got the licence back and I went to start the car. its completely dead. so I started workin on it a bit every day or so. I got a new battery put in and she's runnin I'm waiting to see if it dies to tell me if theres a current draw. she's not drivin right now till I buy plates, insurance etc. ridin to work in the wifeys car the last few months. if by the end of the week theres no dead battery, I'm gonna pull the alt and have it tested. I know I'm prolly goin about this all backwards but I'm havin fun every day or so goin out and workin her into shape. the other problem could be tied into the first I dont know, when I start her up the steering column has wisps of smoke come out of it. it goes away but it bothers me y'know I feel like I'm drivin a wreck and its really a beautifull car. anyways any ideas? if there wasnt a draw when I left the car to sit back than and the batt was good than what would make it completely dead 2 months later? and the smoke issue shit I'm ready to buy an adapter and put on an old school race wheel just to get rid of the electronic garbage

Maybe your steering column issue and draw issue are related?

And to check to alternator you just need a cheap voltimeter. Start the car, and put the appropriate ends of the voltimter to the correct terminals on the battery. You should have at least 14 volts.

Also, check your battery terminals themselves...if they are corroded clean them up as I've had problems with corrosion not letting the battery cables make a good connection to the battery for power and to get charged (alternator). And it also has the possibility to create a very small draw as well.

- Jeff L.

a new signal switch huh, good to know suggest J.Y or aftermarket?

gonna bring home my multimeter tomorrow than

I'm goin to start her up right now and add some ATF and coolant (not leakin just low)