UB3 in a convertible: Hard to see?

Psych0matt

There was a thread last week with some vert questions and this came up. I'm just wondering who here has experienced or has a UB3 in their convertible. I have one and was going to swap it, but if it's a pain to see in the summer then I might end up just getting rid of it. I do remember it sometimes being hard to see in the cavalier, but I didn't think it was that bad though. Lemme know what you guys think.

One of the common jokes among Cougar guys (a digital cluster is the standard cluster) was that we have a pair of sunglasses in our car so we can see our speedometers, not because of the sun. That joke was of course kind of stupid because you couldn't see the cluster with shades on either, but the sun definitely made it impossible to read the speedometer. I don't know about the UB3, but the Ford digital cluster was very difficult to see at times.

I'm sure it would be tough to read during the day, but god damn would it be cool at night! :D

Totally cool at night.

I'm thinking about what I've seen of UB3's, and I'm wondering if they're not at least a little better than my old Cougar's guages were. It seems to me like the UB3 uses a little better lighting, and it might be more visible in the day, even if it's not totally perfect...

One of the common jokes among Cougar guys (a digital cluster is the standard cluster) was that we have a pair of sunglasses in our car so we can see our speedometers, not because of the sun. That joke was of course kind of stupid because you couldn't see the cluster with shades on either, but the sun definitely made it impossible to read the speedometer. I don't know about the UB3, but the Ford digital cluster was very difficult to see at times.

the digital cluster in my Thunderbird is easy to read in any light....

If youre going to run any lights during the day, then you may wantr to keep the VF dimmer wire (Soilid yellow) disconnected.. THis keeps it at the brightest level.. (Think of your stock radio.. Lights go on, the clock dims.. When off, its bright).. That the plan for the Lumina as my parking lights are on during the day.. Because Im cool that way.. 8)

America-build W-bodies don't have a photocell to sense when to turn the instruments to full intensity (daylight), and when to revert to night mode?

i have a sensor in my 1990 CS and 1992 CS that senses light and switches the lights to dim at dusk/night time

its in the drivers side dash speaker

a nice feature

:wink:

how? (I assume you put that in yourself)

cars built for canada have that feature, autoheadlights i think?? from what i take its required by law that canadian built cars have it. wheras cars built for america do not have them.