What this CLICKING noise??

gmrulz4u

My 89 Supreme with Electronic Climate Control some times has a mind of it's own, but I don't know if that's related to the following problem:

For a while now, I've noticed that when I have my heat turned on, usually full blast, if I have my windows down at all, or in park waiting for someone, I can hear something "clicking" coming from the engine area...it kinda sounds like something "clicking" on and off, pretty rapidly...I'm thinking it could possibly be the A/C Clutch engaging and disengaging rapidly, but I didn't think it would be THAT loud...

One thing, for some reason, now I don't know if this is a FACT or not, but this noise seems to go away when I start driving. In OTHER words, I've really only noticed it while I was idling in Park...so I'm not sure if this is the ONLY time it's doing it or not??

ANYONE??

You might be right on top of it with the A/C clutch... if it's low of free-on or hasn't been recharged for some time, the system wants to run to keep a constant pressure. Check your records and pop the hood and take a look. If it's that loud, I'd go nuts within the first 5 mins of it going on!

- RedFox340

The clutch can be pretty loud sometimes. If you want to check for pressure, carefully unscrew the low side cap (next to the battery, near the strut tower) and press the valve down with a pen. Be VERY careful, freon may come out. Protect your eyes. If it shoots out with a LARGE blast then it's probably still got a good charge. If none comes out, then it's empty. If it's low it will cycle more frequently than if it was full/empty. There could also be something else telling it to turn on/off frequently...like a bad pressure switch on either the compressor (if equipped) or one of the lines (also near the battery).

Jason